We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Westport like for St Patrick's Day?

Which Westport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
What's Westport like for St Patrick's Day?

Hi All

My girlfriend and I were planning to go to Westport for St Patrick's Day, find a good music session, soak up the atmosphere and have a great night. We've already got a hotel booked. However, one of her friends has told her that Westport tends to get invaded by rowdy folks for St Patrick's and the locals tend to avoid going out, or even go elsewhere instead. Before we change our plans, I thought it was worth checking whether there's any substance to that information.

My girlfriend is from near Ballina and she's never heard of this before, and I've given it a good Googling and can't find any reference to any kind of rowdiness in Westport for St Patrick's (or indeed any other time).

Can any locals offer any advice? (Thanks.)

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 33
1. Re: What's Westport like for St Patrick's Day?

Never heard that either, send a message to GA she is the local expert and lives there.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 53
2. Re: What's Westport like for St Patrick's Day?

I live close to Westport and its no rowdier than any West of Ireland town on St Pats Day. They have a good parade and its pretty multicultural. Of couse - like most towns - after 10.30pm things can go down the toilet a bit.

Sheffield, United...
3. Re: What's Westport like for St Patrick's Day?

Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated.

I also private messaged GA (gablues?) but no reply as yet. Maybe she's away though.

Edited: 5:40 pm, March 12, 2013
4. Re: What's Westport like for St Patrick's Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, March 24, 2014