We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

voltage adapter

Which Limerick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rhode island
voltage adapter

Hi! it is my first time to ireland from the us, what kind of adapter will i need for american appliances such as cell phone, laptop and hairdryer?? Thanks!!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
reviews: 38
1. Re: voltage adapter

The standard electricity supply is 220 volts AC in the Republic of Ireland. Visitors may require a transformer and a plug adaptor.

A plug adaptor is necessary to convert 2-pin plugs to the standard 3-pin plugs and these can be bought at any airport or electrical supplier.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 3
2. Re: voltage adapter

Hi, kg7426...unless you have a phone with international service, you probably won't need to worry about recharging it while you are there. Mine never works in Ireland, but some may. Most computer manufacturers sell a cord that will take care of the different current, but you will still need the 3-pin adaptor beanalainn mentioned. As far as the hairdryer goes, I have found using one with a transformer to be a very unsatisfactory experience. The hairdryer worked, but with a much lower than ususal output. There are a lot of inexpensive dryers available that will use either voltage and just need the 3-pin adaptor. You will be much happier if you go that route. As so many now can be used with either voltage, yours may already have that capability. Whatever you do, don't use a curling iron that requires a transformer. I was traveling with a friend in London and she blew out the electricity in half the hotel we were staying in using that method!!!