We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real castles to spend a night in?

Montreal, Canada
Real castles to spend a night in?

Hi,

I feel this question has been asked over and over, but I have not been able to find the right answer to it until now :

Is there a real medieval-looking castle in Ireland in which people can spend the night in?

I have seen many pictures of places looking castles outside and like manors or luxury hotels inside, a real disappointment as far as I am concerned.

I am seeking for an old big-blocks castle, not much furniture, basic beds, no luxury, just an eerie uncomfortable medieval place to stay in.

Is there anything like this in Ireland, or are these places confined to being historical sites?

Thank you in advance! :-)

Guillaume

5 replies to this topic
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Waterford, Dunmore East
reviews: 127
1. Re: Real castles to spend a night in?

Have a look at www.castlehotelireland.com

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
2. Re: Real castles to spend a night in?

Two castles that spring to mind are Smithstown Castle www.smithstowncastle.com And Ross Castle (on Lough Sheelin, not the one in Killarney) www.ross-castle.com

Cambridge, Canada
reviews: 72
3. Re: Real castles to spend a night in?

I stayed at Ross Castle last May and it sounds like it might be what you are looking for. Rustic and authentic out in the country overlooking a nearby lake. Stayed in the upper tower room. It's a haunted castle. We did not see anything but heard lots of unexplainable 'noises' both day and night. When I came home there were 'Orbs' in several of my pictures. Out of over a thousand pics this is the only place they turned up! Have fun! Check out my review on TA, I have some pics attached to it.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 8
4. Re: Real castles to spend a night in?

Hello Juanita,

I fully agree with you - Ross Castle is a great place to stay. For anyone interested, here is their website link:

http://ross-castle.com

They recently did some nice renovations and even have wireless Internet now. And with the correct location showing on Google maps, it's also easier to find using your GPS, then in the "old days"....

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 38
5. Re: Real castles to spend a night in?

Yes, Ross Castle B&B on Lough Sheelin is a real castle. Absolutely fantastic accommodation, make sure you ask for a tower room. We stayed there a few years ago and was the highlight of out Ireland Trip. This is the testimonial I left in their guestbook

"Hi Benita & Sam. The four of us stayed with you May last year and had an absolute memorable stay. Your Castle is such a delight and so peaceful. We stayed in the Tower Rooms and this really added to the experience. We all really enjoyed our few days here, very comfortable, warm, totally unspoilt, delicious food and the ‘best hospitality’, but what made it so special was that we had it to ourselves. It was ‘Our Castle’, nobody else around for what seemed like miles, just beautiful countryside. Absolute peace and quiet after such a hectic pace touring around."

Reply to: Real castles to spend a night in?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted