We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
reviews: 13
Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

Both have availability for us in July. We prefer quietish since we have a toddler with us.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
reviews: 45
1. Re: Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

Hello

Both these places are fine. Of the two I would go for Fanad House as it is set back from the road and is in a less busy neighbourhood. Berkeley House is right in the thick of it, with a coach stop right outside. Also there is a set of steep steps up to Berkeley House which would be a little bit of a nuisance negotiating with your toddler everytime you want to go in and out.

But if the booking is for a weekend, I would be inclined to avoid either of the two altogether as there is a possibility that they could become overrun by hen/stag parties or festival goers. (There is a big music festival in Kilkenny one weekend in July).

For a weekend, I would choose a much more family orientated B and B such as Carriglea (http://www.iol.ie/~archers/) - only a stone's throw from Fanad House; or Park Villa( http://www.kilkennybedandbreakfast.com/) - a little further out of town but very suitable for you.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
2. Re: Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

If car parking is an issue, Berkely House has not car park. The other three have parking.

Austin
3. Re: Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

Thanks. We are going with Fanad House. Pat Wallace, the proprietor, seems like a nice person.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
4. Re: Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

Yes they are, and the place is very well-run.

Ireland
reviews: 53
5. Re: Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

the proprietors are very nice but .... i was woken twice during the night by people shouting under my window, on a Tuesday night in January. July will be much busier i would think. Also, the beds in Fanad house were the least comfortable I've felt in ages. Hard scratchy bedclothes, not a good night's sleep at all. maybe you should specify rooms at the back of the house? that would help

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
6. Re: Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

This is fair comment. I think it is a problem all over when people have been out celebrating. That is why sometimes the smaller, family home type B&B's can be a better option for many visitors who want a quieter life. There are plenty of both types of accommodation in Kilkenny.

Austin
7. Re: Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

Thanks for the feedback. Scratchy and uncomfortable beds -- not a good thing.

I have to admit that booking Kilkenny has ended up being the most difficult of our trip. My first choice was Carriglea B&B, but they never emailed me back. I see that they are on break until Jan. 29th, so I will try again on the 30th.

If Park Villa isn't too far of a walk, I will contact them, too. I wanted something close in since our 3 1/2 year old is at that stage where she really doesn't require a stroller. But if the B&B is 15 minutes out of town, that means we need to take the stroller.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
8. Re: Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

Yes, sometimes you can suffer from having too much information. The problem is the city centre places can suffer from noise, but the quieter places are just that little further out. I think Park Villa would be a little too far out to expect your 3 year old to walk all the way in to town. Carriglea, I think, would be ideal for you, as it is the closest in a more secluded location.

Melrose House (melrosehouse.com) is a fairly new B&B, which I know nothing about, but would, from looking at it's location, be both quiet and within reasonable walking distance, although not as close as Carriglea or Fanad House.

So would also Glendhu and Beaupre on the Waterford Road. These are small established family B&B's.

Austin
9. Re: Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

Thanks for the information. Does Glendhu or Beaupre have a website?

I have to admit that I thought of staying at a hotel, but the hotels don't seem quiet, either.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
10. Re: Fanad House vs. Berkeley House

No neither of these have a website. You can look at the details in ireland.ie, or goireland.com. I just looked at the Park Villa website and it says a leisurely 10 minute walk in to town. So maybe I am over estimating as I have never walked it myself. Sometime I think they measure the distance to the nearest edge of town not the centre. I just think it would be too much for a 3-year old to walk.

As for hotels, you could take your chances. They could be noisy or not, depending on what is on and where your room is located. The best bet for central hotels would the the River Court, the Hibernian, the Ormonde or Butler House. There is a new one opening soon, the Pembroke. The Club House is also very central, but many people would find it old-fashioned and out of style. I love it, because it has stayed true to it's original Coaching Inn style.

Your absolutely best choice would be Carriglea.

For hotels I think you would find Butler House would be the quietest as they don't go seem to go in for weddings or big noisy groups.

Butler Court should also be OK as it is set back in a court yard. I just think it is a little expensive for what it is, but I have never stayed there is a reason.

I have been gently taken to task on other forums for being over generous on estimations of time and distance. But it is better to get a nice suprise (if i'm wrong), than a nasty one!