We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for passing through Kilkenny between Dublin & Cork?

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tyler, Texas
reviews: 31
Ideas for passing through Kilkenny between Dublin & Cork?

Hello,

My husband and I are traveling to Ireland in 2 weeks! yay=) We will be driving from Dublin to Cork in 1 day...is this a realistic itinerary? Leaving Dublin around 9 or 10 AM, having lunch in Kilkenny, driving on to Rock of Cashel to visit for a couple of hours, then driving on to Cork to spend the night? I would love to have more time in Kilkenny, but would we have time to see anything in town for a couple of hours and still have ample time to enjoy Rock of Cashel without making it into Cork too late? We would like to be checked in to go out for dinner by 7 or 8 at the latest...any info greatly appreciated! also, recommendations for lunch?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
reviews: 49
1. Re: Ideas for passing through Kilkenny between Dublin & Cork?

You won't get to see everything there is in Kilkenny, but if a visit to the castle and stroll around the town would suffice, your plan is workable.

If travelling from Kilkenny to Cashel, don't use the 'direct' route via Ballingarry; that road is awful, narrow with a number of bad bends. There's a route via Urlingford, which is much better and quicker if a little longer in distance.

Tyler, Texas
reviews: 31
2. Re: Ideas for passing through Kilkenny between Dublin & Cork?

thanks for the tip! anyone have a favorite budget lunch spot or pub?

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 57
3. Re: Ideas for passing through Kilkenny between Dublin & Cork?

We like Kyteler's.

http://kytelersinn.com/index.asp

Food has always been good when we've been there. Good selection of main courses or soup/sandwiches. Check out the website and menu.

Kilkenny is a nice small, walkable town and the castle is well worth a visit.

Enjoy!!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
reviews: 40
4. Re: Ideas for passing through Kilkenny between Dublin & Cork?

For lunch I would recommend Zuni on Patrick Street, and also Chez Pierre near Rothe House, and Cafe Sol which is on a lovely side road off the High Street. All these are popular with locals, not just tourists.

5. Re: Ideas for passing through Kilkenny between Dublin & Cork?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 24, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kilkenny