We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to the Southeast coast from Kilkenny

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winter Park, Fl.
reviews: 11
Day trips to the Southeast coast from Kilkenny

I have posted my itinerary in the Ireland forum for input but I thought I would post here to get some feedback from people who know the area really well.

Originally I had a 3 night stay in Kilkenny but I really want to see the southeast coast so I revised the trip. I was concerned that I would either have to spend a lot of time in the car driving to see all the southeast coast sites that I outlined or give up a night in Kilkenny and spend one on the coast. Let me know if you think I should should skip something. I would prefer to stay in Kilkenny but here is the itinerary if we stay in Dunmore East:

Day 1 Arrive in Dublin at 8:20 after a direct flight from Orlando, rent car and head to Kilkenny via Glendalough. See some of Kilkenny and spend the night at Abbeylodge.

Day 2 Tour Kilkenny, Jerpoint Abbey, Inistioge, some of the craft trail. Spend the night at Abbeylodge.

Day 3 Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, Lismore, Copper Coast Drive and spend the night in Dunmore East. Don't have the accommodation yet.

Day 4 Hook Head Peninsula, New Ross to see the Dunbrody Emigrant ship and then head to Malahide. Spend the night at the Grand Hotel.

Day 5 Newgrange, Hill of Tara, Trim Castle. Spend the night at the Grand Hotel.

Day 6 Take DART into Dublin. Tour Dublin. Spend the night at the Grand Hotel

Day 7 Leave Malahide on 12:20 flight back to Orlando.

I would greatly appreciate your input.

Maureen

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
1. Re: Day trips to the Southeast coast from Kilkenny

While you await local input, check out Day Excursions here for ideas of how much can be done in a day from Kilkenny and adapt to suit your own comfort level:

http://www.aruralexperience.com/

Waterford, Ireland
reviews: 3
2. Re: Day trips to the Southeast coast from Kilkenny

Yes your Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford days look fine, possibly slightly pressured but ok. There are lots of other things you could also see in the area, but I think you have enough lined up.

While you are in Lismore have a look at The Towers, it is sign-posted and is a nice little uphill walk. If you are looking for lunch in Dungarvan check out The Moorings restaurant.

If you have time go into Stradbally near Dungarvan, there is a nice hidden beach - go to the right past the green, down the road, over a bridge and turn left into what looks like a private residence - on a bit and you will find yourself on the beach. There is a nice walk up the cliffs behind the lime kilns.

Look out for the ruins of the copper mines on the left on the cliff tops when you get onto the copper coast road. Also look out for Dunhill Castle in the distance at Annestown (on the left). Give yourself time to take a walk on the sea wall at Dunmore East (start in the port, you can drive down and park but it is a working port so look out for nets and ropes.) The coastline you can see in the distance is the Hook Peninsula.

Go to the Peninsula across the ferry from Passage East, look out for the Templer castle (tower house) in Ballyhack. Both Tintern Abbey and Dunbrody Abbey are worth a look - Dunbrody is especially picturesque.

Winter Park, Fl.
3. Re: Day trips to the Southeast coast from Kilkenny

Thanks for the great ideas for stops along the way. That is part of the problem with my itinerary - the more I look into things to do the more great things I find. I want to do them all!

Of all the things I have listed if you had to give up one thing which would it be?

Winter Park, Fl.
4. Re: Day trips to the Southeast coast from Kilkenny

I forgot to put that we are going in mid March if that has any bearing.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
reviews: 67
5. Re: Day trips to the Southeast coast from Kilkenny

The little cove in Stradbally actually belonged to the local "Big House",for many years there was a gate on the little lane ot the beach and the family closed it one day a year to prevent a public right of way develop. The gate is now long gone, as are the family who lived in the house. if you drive past the cove and up the hill ,you will see big gates, the "back entrance" to the house. There is supposed to be a ghost at the gate on dark winter nights...

After Cahir castle (nice nosh to be had in the riverside cafe, right on the riverbank) be sure to visit the Swiss Cottage. Travel over the Vee to Lismore,then you are well placed for the Copper coast drive.

Waterford, Ireland
6. Re: Day trips to the Southeast coast from Kilkenny

Yes, mid-March might have a bearing. If the weather is dismal you might do better to take the A25 to Waterford than drive the copper coast. If the weather is good - or clear and wild - it is a lovely drive, but a bit of a waste if its misty and wet. Same applies to the Hook Head drive. If the weather is stormy I would be very careful at Hook Head especially if the tide is in, you can get rogue waves.

You might also need to check out opening times, Mid March might be a bit early for some places.

Winter Park, Fl.
7. Re: Day trips to the Southeast coast from Kilkenny

Harvey - thanks for the suggestion. Stradbally sounds great ghost and all.

Donaraile - Thanks for the advice on visiting in March. It will be very helpful when deciding where to go and what day. I think I will play it by ear depending on the weather. Coming from a place where hurricanes frequent I appreciate the power of waves and what they can do.

Waterford, Ireland
8. Re: Day trips to the Southeast coast from Kilkenny

Harvey, that's interesting about Stradbally, I wondered why it had the gateposts at the entrance. I think it is one of my favourite beaches - that and Annestown - on that coast. Annestown doesn't look that amazing until you get onto the beach on the lefthand side, if the tide is out there are some brilliant swimming places near the cliffs. Not in March though!

OP if you go down the Hook peninsula look out for an old, big house across a field on the right. This is Loftus Hall http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loftus_Hall

which has a reputation for being haunted.

9. Re: Day trips to the Southeast coast from Kilkenny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 17, 2012