We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expensive!!!!

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 5
Expensive!!!!

I've just returned from Kilkenny and couldn't believe how expensive it was. Has anyone else found this? It's far cheaper to eat and drink in the centre of London.

Pint of Guinness £4.40

Main meals up to £28

Takeaway dishes £12 upwards

Crazy prices!!!

Dublin
reviews: 6
1. Re: Expensive!!!!

Costs anywhere in the euro zone are now relatively high for people for the UK. It is an unfortunate effect of the weakness of sterling. I have friends who are retired in the south of France on a sterling-denominated pension and they calculate that their income in euro has declined by about a third due to the shift in sterling - euro value.

I'm afraid that it is a much wider problem than Kilkenny - though relatively high prices in Ireland in comparison with other areas of the euro zooe do not help matters.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
reviews: 45
2. Re: Expensive!!!!

It is a unfortunate that travellernice found food and drink expensive in Kilkenny when he/she visited. However, as someone who lives here I can assure any visitors that there are plenty of options for eating and drinking that won't break the bank and that Kilkenny compares very favourably with other Irish towns, UK and Europe for that matter. I and others frequently post on affordable options and would be happy to give advice whenever asked as a local.

Eating out is always an expensive option anyway, especially when you have to feed a family. I usually recommend visitors to go for the lunch or early bird option which is available in many Kilkenny restaurants.

There are a number of cafes also where you can get a great irish breakfast for around 8 euros, or filling homemade soup and brown bread for 4 euros.

Also Kilkenny is very well equipped with takeaways of all kinds.

Local favourites are Langtons for lunch - which is served all afernoon. Zuni and Ripleys for lunch or early bird (2-course meal for 20 euros). The Ground Floor cafe for wonderful freshly made filling panninis, wraps and sandwiches. Dunnes Stores restaurant and the Kilkenny Cafe for great deals on morning tea and coffee. And don't forget Mac's fast food stall on the Parade.

As for pubs - I don't usually go so will have to leave that to someone else to comment on.

Dublin, Ireland
3. Re: Expensive!!!!

Nobody would try to claim that Ireland is a cheap destination, even for other countries in the eurozone. But the inflated prices you are experiencing is due to the ongoing freefall of sterling and how many euros you can get for your pound. US visitors to Ireland are experiencing the same thing with the dollar, as are UK visitors heading to popular holiday destinations in the eurozone (check out the Spain forums, for instance). We live in Dublin and recently spent a weekend in Kilkenny. We found it to be considerably cheaper than Dublin for pubs and eating out. We had a delicious three course meal with a good bottle of wine in a very nice restaurant (Cafe Sol) in the middle of Kilkenny on a bank holiday Saturday night and paid a total of €62 (excluding tip). I thought this was excellent value.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 99
4. Re: Expensive!!!!

We spent 3 nights in Kilkenny and the hosts at our B&B gave us a map marked with recommended "value for money" restaurants and pubs when we arrived. Their choices were: Langton's, Marble City Bar and Kyteler's Inn. We ate one night at Kyteler's and one night at Lemonsol, ordering off the Irish menu rather than the Asian one. That made for a total of 8 mains and they averaged around 15 - 16 Euros each.

ireland
reviews: 10
5. Re: Expensive!!!!

welcome to Ireland traveller LOL

the land where you get ripped off from the minute you wake up to the minute you go back to bed.

Why do you think everyone heads up to the North to make their purchases - grocerys, furniture, clothes. etc.

And then the govt has the cheek to tell us to stay around and "buy irish". How stupid do they think we are.

sorry, rant over.

6. Re: Expensive!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, October 29, 2009