We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cars and bikes - Gap of Dunloe

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 46
Cars and bikes - Gap of Dunloe

Hi all,

My husband and I have found a 55km route that we would love to cycle through Killarney National Park and the Gap of Dunloe. I'm very nervous though about the narrow roads and cars while on the route. Do cars generally drive fast and look out for cyclists through the Gap? Cars and traffic are things that I'm worried about when we cycle regardless of where we are (an incident in the past has made me a little scared) so I typically seek out areas where cars are limited. We love to cycle, but I don't want to be on edge the whole time. Here's the route: cycleireland.ie/cycle-gap-of-dunloe-loop/

Thanks for your help!

5 replies to this topic
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
reviews: 38
1. Re: Cars and bikes - Gap of Dunloe

The Gap is fine - cars are rare and its difficult to drive at any speed there PLUS you'll hear the cars, generally, before you see them.

But its the bits before and after the Gap that I think you may worry about. There are a number of options. This is one of them www.gapofdunloetours.com/bike_boat.html

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
reviews: 59
2. Re: Cars and bikes - Gap of Dunloe

As a cyclist, I'd like to tell you that all Irish drivers are good, but unfortunately, there's a small 2%-3% out there who just don't get that you need to give cyclists space when overtaking etc. In fairness, there's probably also 2%-3% of Irish cyclists who don't think the rules of the road apply to them.

All that said, a large proportion of the drivers and cyclists in the area will be tourists, so I don't know how much Irish habits can be projected anyway.

On your route, the main worry I have is the stretch from Moll's Gap to Torc Waterfall. This road is twisty, which makes it hard to overtake a bike. However, it's also a 2-lane road where drivers think they should be making good pace. Then there are also tour buses thrown into the mix. It's exactly the sort of place where a stupid overtaking move might be attempted.

If you were to use the bike/boat option, it would skip that section.

Alexandria, Virginia
3. Re: Cars and bikes - Gap of Dunloe

I'll look into the bike/boat option and decide what I want to do. Thanks for the responses!

Alexandria, Virginia
4. Re: Cars and bikes - Gap of Dunloe

Actually, one more question. Do you have to be on a tour to use the boats leaving from Ross Castle? Is this recommended over doing it ourselves? We would much prefer to do it on our own. Thanks.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
reviews: 44
5. Re: Cars and bikes - Gap of Dunloe

You do not have to be on a tour to do the bike/boat option but I would in that you will not need the use of the bus to transfer you to and from town and Ross Castle and Kate Kearney's but I would contact one of the tour operators to schedule the boat part of your day to ensure space on the boat. I would not just show up at Ross Castle or especially Lord Brandon's Cottage with a bike expecting to be left on.

The price you pay by booking through a tour and showing up hoping for a slot would be the same, E20, so booking just gives you piece of mind. Also, you do not have to pay in advance but rather just give cash to the boatman.

Either of these operators would be happy to take a reservation or answer any other questions you may have

http://www.gapofdunloetours.com/

oconnorautotours.ie/tour_gap_of_dunloe.html

Reply to: Cars and bikes - Gap of Dunloe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted