We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

treasure hunt game help

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary AB
reviews: 6
treasure hunt game help

I am sure that lots of people have done this before, but I am looking for some help in setting up a treasure hunt kind of game for our group. First requirement would be that it would be safe, I don't want any of the kids getting lost or hurt. ( they range in age from 13 to 18 ) and the second requirement is that it would be educational, and last but not least fun!

From what I understand, Killarney is small enough and safe enough for something like this. If they are in groups with at least a sixteen year-old and stick to the touristy part of town?

The purpose of the game would be to get them to learn about the place we are at the people that live there, without driving anybody there too crazy. I also plan on getting the old guys doing it too. I figure that they should make up for their lack of speed with their experience.

some things i could use would be...

Irish sayings or words that they would not know.

clues to find points of interest in town where they would have to get someone to take a picture of all of them there.

Some history that they would have to do some research to find out some answers about.

a food that they might not of heard of that they would have to purchase bring to us and consume.

a special person in town that they would have to meet ,ask a question of, and would not mind having their picture taken.

(Any volunteers?)

any other ideas would be apreciated. I always think that they best way to learn something is to make it fun. thanks again

Calgary AB
11. Re: treasure hunt game help

Thanks Boru, you are obviously a busy person, and I apreciate your time.

Bean, do you think they could get to the mines by themselves? I looked them up on the net, and they sound like a great idea. The memorial to the children is perfect, I will definitely use that.

Calgary AB
12. Re: treasure hunt game help

I looked up crubeens Boru, yuck again, you are going to have me turning this into a Fear Factor game instead of the Amazing race! I love the way you think! keep em coming!

Ireland
reviews: 44
13. Re: treasure hunt game help

Every Christmas The Laurels Pub on the Main Street organises a Treasure Hunt for locals. Lots of kids take part. What not e-mail them and ask for help. I'm sure they could sort you out.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
reviews: 38
14. Re: treasure hunt game help

travelmom - the mines are a bit of a walk in on the island, but yes they could make it. My kids walked it (and back out again, lol!!)

There are signs to the Copper Mines. There are only remnants there now and the workings have either disappeared or are fenced off securely.

This is a good article about the mines:

www.digireader.com/view_blog.asp…

Calgary AB
15. Re: treasure hunt game help

Bean, do you mean that they could reach the mines by themselves from town? that would be perfect.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
16. Re: treasure hunt game help

Travelmom - the kids could reach the mines via Knockreer Park in Killarney town. The complete trek would be about 4 miles but you could add in other things as well.

This is a map of Killarney

http://www.killarney-insight.com/maps.html

Knockreer Park is on the Port Road. Ross Island is down the Ross Road.

Calgary AB
17. Re: treasure hunt game help

finally got the name of the hotel we will be staying at. It is the Randle Court Hotel. My dad said we would be traveling on the cheap, and not to expect too much. Saw the pictures of it on the net. My dad has strange ideas about cheap ;-)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 22
18. Re: treasure hunt game help

travelmom as suggested already, i think the monument to the lost children of the famine is great....and if they want to ask questions of locals go to the horse cart spot and those fellas will talk their ears off and they love to have their pictures made, now as for famous i don't think they are but they are darlin'...

i promise the folks on here will come up with more ideas than you will have time for....lol...

it sounds wonderful.....

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
19. Re: treasure hunt game help

This may help as well:

www.killarney.ie/visitors/kids/index.html

The whole site has lots of ideas for you.

Humptulips...
reviews: 2
20. Re: treasure hunt game help

Hi travelmom. I'm usually not too busy. It was just the timing. It looks nice. This is a toughie, especially being in an unfamiliar country w/o a car. I guess they could bring back nature items. One could be gorse(yellow bush you'll see alot). Also a bonus is what did locals do with it on May Day(bring a branch indoors for good luck). Different tree leaves with the winner being who gets the most is another idea. Rhododendron is another, and they'd be doing the Muckross folks a favor. A real shamrock could be one. Most they'll find are clover(white specks). Also, what Christian meaning did St. Patrick bring to Shamrocks at The Rock of Cashel(Fr., Son and Holy Ghost=the 3 leaves on one stalk). Then there's thistles and nettles. Adults should be limited to those. For the latter, remember: If you gently touch a nettle, it'll sting you for your pain: But grasp it like a lard of metal, and soft as silk it'll remain. Just in case, dog leaves ease the sting. You mentioned about pictures. I guess you could award more points for an actual item, but award less for pics of an item. Horseshoe, sliothar(hurling ball) and gansey(sweater) would be examples. An idea could be having them take a pic of a person who told them about an item. They could be limited to say like three items per person. Another idea is the most pictures of different animals, with or without includiing birds. I looked back at a scavenger hunt a poster recently mentioned, but didn't really get any ideas from there, apart from the people holding a sign idea. I'm grasping away, but I hope any of this was helpful. Please do get back. Cheers.