We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney or Lahinch?

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Powell, Ohio
reviews: 18
Killarney or Lahinch?

Need help. Trying to decide between two nights in Killarney or two nights in Lahinch during guys golf trip. Killarney seems like better town but 2 nights in Lahinch means less driving time on the bus between rounds of golf at Ballybunion, Doonebeg and Lahinch. Also, some guys want to see Cliffs of Moher (sp?).

If we spend 2 nights in Lahinch are we missing out on Killarney?

All advice appreciated. Thank you.

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 25
1. Re: Killarney or Lahinch?

Having stayed in both, I'd say for this trip, stay in Lahinch. You're days will be full of golf and there is a huge variety of other sightseeing surrounding Lahinch, you won't find yourself with idle time. Killarney would be a bit much at night, whereas Lahinch will be just enough, especially since it's just two nights.

Grayslake, Illinois
reviews: 35
2. Re: Killarney or Lahinch?

I'm a little confused....are you planning to golf all 3 courses?

What is your itinerary? Are you renting a car?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
reviews: 38
3. Re: Killarney or Lahinch?

Ballybunion and Lahinch are Links courses with international reputations. I'm not sure about Doonbeg. Killarney is an excellent course with spectacular scenery and very different from Ballybunion and Lahinch.

Lahinch isn't very big and there isn't a lot to do outside of July and August. Killarney would be very different and the scenery is spectacular.

Powell, Ohio
reviews: 18
4. Re: Killarney or Lahinch?

As a follow up, we are playing Waterville and then heading to a hotel in Killarney for one night (maybe two). Next day playing Ballybunion. Then we need to decide whether to stay in Killarney for another night or drive to Lahinch and stay there. The next day we will be golfing at Doonbeg and Lahinch.

We will have a chartered bus for transport.

We were wondering whether there would be enough pubs/taverns and restaurants in Lahinch for two nights as opposed to Killarney.

12 guys - need at least 7 rooms if anyone can suggest some good hotel in Killarney and Lahinch.

Thanks for all the help.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
reviews: 38
5. Re: Killarney or Lahinch?

I'd certainly take a couple of nights in Killarney. There is some fabulous scenery within very short distances of the town. In terms of hotels, there are lots of them. From the very upmarket to the less upmarket. The Castlerosse Hotel has its own 9 hole golf course and is an excellent hotel http://www.castlerosse.ie/

I'd also suggest a night in Lahinch. Its a small seaside town (you can walk from top to bottom and back in 10 minutes or less, depending on speed) but has a lovely beach and is very close to the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. It has its own golf hotel www.lahinchgolfhotel.com

County Meath...
reviews: 132
6. Re: Killarney or Lahinch?

As Bean A has already suggested,take a few days in Killarney,there will be plenty of pubs & restaurants & good craic to be had !

Take a look at www.killarney-insight.com for accommodation,there's lots to choose from in the town centre.

Edited: 4:31 pm, August 24, 2011
Ennis, Ireland
reviews: 154
7. Re: Killarney or Lahinch?

There is no doubt that Killarney would have more to keep you occupied for two nights.

However, if Lahinch is more convenient for your games of golf, then there is no need to worry as there are some lovely pubs there which also do excellent bar food.

Danny Mac's, Kenny's, The Cornerstone and the Shamrock are all very good.

If you have the use of the bus in the evenings after the golf, you might consider having a meal and a few drinks in Doonbeg before returning to Lahinch on one of the evenings.

The food is very good at the Lodge where the golf course is located, with a choice of casual dining at Darby's pub or formal in the Long Room.

www.doonbeglodge.com

In the village of Doonbeg, Morrissey's is highly recommended, athough I have yet to eat there myself.

www.morrisseysdoonbeg.com/

Florida
reviews: 2
8. Re: Killarney or Lahinch?

My husband and I went to Ireland in May-June. We played Ballybunion, Lahinch, and Killarney Golf and Fishing Club. I would HIGHLY recommend the Killeen House Hotel in Killarney. It is a lovely small hotel geared toward golf - the owners Geraldine and Michael are wonderful. The restaurant is great. There is a wonderful little pub in the hotel and it is 5 mins. from downtown Killarney where there are lots of pubs and restaurants. Check out their website - www.killeenhousehotel.com. We drove from Killarney to Ballybunion and it was not a bad drive. I think around an hour. Lahinch is very small but we liked the town. It is 20 mins from the Cliffs of Moher. We stayed at Moy House which I don't think is a great hotel for guys on a golf trip but was a wonderful hotel. LOVED Lahinch golf course.

Have a great trip!

9. Re: Killarney or Lahinch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 12, 2012