We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Downtown Galway

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PEI, Canada
reviews: 13
Hotel in Downtown Galway

Hi,

I'm looking for a hotel in the middle of Galway for a two night stay for my husband and I in Sept 14. I'd like for the hotel to have a bar in it (so DH can go down for a drink and meet some locals) and be within walking distance of some pubs that have traditional music playing. Any suggestions? I've been looking at reviews of hotels on TA but I don't really know where exactly Downtown Galway is so it's hard to pick a hotel that is in that area. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

12 replies to this topic
Boston
reviews: 55
11. Re: Hotel in Downtown Galway

I'm going to put a vote in for Jury's Galway because of its location. It's only a three star and it does have some mixed T.A. reviews, but it maintains perfectly acceptable standards; many rooms have great views over the River Corrib. A quick walk up Quay Street brings you to all the traditional pubs. Day or night, the walk is well-populated with pub-goers into the wee hours, and something to consider, it's a better location for changing direction and heading over the Corrib to Monroe's, and especially to The Crane. September evenings should be pleasant, but trust me in March a walk through Eyre Square or across the Wolfe Tone Bridge can be a bit blustery! Jury's is not as convenient to the bus and train stations, but if you're taking a day tour, you'll get a free pick-up from the hotel and the taxi ride to the stations is not expensive. Coming from P.E.I. you might enjoy being near the Harbor and Claddagh area; the City Museum (literally two minutes across the street from Jury's) has good information and a nice upper floor view. I agree with you; the T.A. forums (even more than the actual reviews) are such a valuable resource for trip planning. Even though this is my 4th trip to Galway, I greatly appreciate the forum advice that I've just gotten. Good luck with your decision, if it hasn't already been made.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
reviews: 47
12. Re: Hotel in Downtown Galway

The House hotel is much nearer the "Trad" pubs ( 2 minute walk ) whereas the Park is 10/15 minute walk. If you want any tips re: Galway, feel free to pm me. Happy to help if i can ( I live there )

Reply to: Hotel in Downtown Galway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galway