We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No where to stay Aug 4th

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milford, Connecticut
reviews: 12
No where to stay Aug 4th

Why isnt there any where to stay on the 4th for one night? I really wanted to stay in galway and it looks like now I cannot...does anyone know of anywhere maybe outside of the city I guess, or somewhere I can check within the city?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
reviews: 49
1. Re: No where to stay Aug 4th

Galway races are on that week.

TBH even hotels near Galway will be either booked out or very expensive. You'll probably have to give it a miss.

If you want to go to that rough area, try Sligo or Westport as a base. They're both large enough to offer decent facilities.

You are, of course, always welcome in the Cork if you have to completely rearrange your trip.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
reviews: 138
2. Re: No where to stay Aug 4th

You dont need to go as far as Sligo or Westport, you will find lots of b&bs etc in the towns surrounding Galway e.g Loughrea, Oughterard, Spiddal, Claregalway, Tuam etc etc.

Milford, Connecticut
reviews: 12
3. Re: No where to stay Aug 4th

THANKS! I figured there was an event..the prices are crazy! Yes we are actually staying in cork the night before...thanks very much!

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 30
4. Re: No where to stay Aug 4th

Staying in Cork and driving to Galway as part of a holiday?? Depending on the rest of your itinerary you need a re think? perhaps split the drive in Ennis which is only 1 hour direct or up to a week indirect from Galway.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
reviews: 49
5. Re: No where to stay Aug 4th

Cork-Galway isn't too bad a drive now that you don't have to go into Limerick or Gort. 2 1/2 hours is achievable.

Charleville can still get messy, but only in peak hours.

You just need to be aware that it is mostly motorway driving.

Fanore, County Clare
6. Re: No where to stay Aug 4th

You need to be aware that it is also Bank Holiday weekend...the busiest holiday weekend in the year and a lot of accommodation is booked well in advance so best not to 'wing it'.

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 30
7. Re: No where to stay Aug 4th

Under 2 1/2 hours Cork to Galway,,,For f****s sake don't tell the Garda you do that !!

The point I was trying to make was that if this is in anyway an attempt to see anything of Ireland apart from the road system it might make sense to split the trip somewhere.

galway
reviews: 34
8. Re: No where to stay Aug 4th

2 1/2 hours Cork-Galway you got a jet

Killarney
reviews: 1
9. Re: No where to stay Aug 4th

Try The Heron's Rest B&B in Galway; B&B's out in Salthill; or like the other posters suggest one of the villages outside of Galway. You may want to avoid Galway traffic, so at least if you stayed on the outskirts that weekend you could park outside town and walk in...

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
10. Re: No where to stay Aug 4th

Limerick to Galway can be done in an hour from Thomond Park.

Limerick to Cork in 90 minutes??? Even using the Shannon Tunnel AND going straight through Charleville, its not possible.

And the comment "You just need to be aware that it is mostly motorway driving.". Totally wrong. The only motorway between Cork and Limerick is on the outskirts of Limerick. Then it reverts to N Road again for the suburban and tunnel element (yes it looks like motorway and feels like motorway but its policed as non-motorway) and the Limerick to Shannon Road. After Shannon it becomes motorway again but the motorway stops abruptly at Gort. And I mean abruptly. You steer off the motorway where the works just ground to a halt and then continue on narrow roads.

Why not take the scenic route to Galway and make a day of it? Take in Blarney on the way towards Limerick and then after Croom follow the signs for Adare www.adarevillage.com Then drive towards Foynes. Visit the Flying Boat and Irish Coffee Museum www.flyingboatmuseum.com

Then drive to Tarbert and get the ferry to Killimer in Clare www.shannonferries.com Drive up through beautiful West Clare. Stop off in the lovely village of Kinvarra.

Galway will be manic during the races and the evening is probably the best time to see it at that time.

Get answers to your questions about Galway