We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large Family staying at Ross Castle

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
home
Large Family staying at Ross Castle

We are thinking of staying at Ross Castle. We are a large group with three generations (11 adults, 7 children and 2 infants) and are interesting in any feedback from someone who has stayed at the Castle's apartments or cottages.

Thanks

Boston...
reviews: 16
1. Re: Large Family staying at Ross Castle

Hi Ruri,

Do you mean the Ross Castle in Killarney or the one in Moycullen, just outside of Galway?

We were going to stay at the Moycullen castle in the self-catering apts. but then changed our mind because we wanted to be central to everything and stay in Galway.

Connecticut
reviews: 3
2. Re: Large Family staying at Ross Castle

Not sure if you stayed or not at the Ross in Moycullen. But the following are my feelings of possession and dispossession.

I am Irish and this home though 'redone' has been redone by the expense of others... by the losses of others. The area rug from the Shah of Iran the wall hanging from someone else. The rooms were not well done at all and in fact my daughter refused to stay after the first night as she was so spooked.

Then the people who own it are very nice but annoying and kept telling us to remember to recycle everything. That's okay but we are on holiday and the owner going through the garbage and by the way the pool is awful...filthy and smells badly.

The location would be fine for a rereat or something but as it is it is way too far removed from anything going on and even during the day I got bad feelings here. There is definitely a presence in the chapel on the grounds. I have a photograph of it and will post it if I can.

If you no expectations and some money and want to be removed from everything and don't mind feeling scared by the past then it's the place for you.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
3. Re: Large Family staying at Ross Castle

Anjela,

I feel I have to comment on your post. I honestly think it is libellous, you are expressing opinions rather than fact.

Firstly, Recycling. Regardless of whether we are on holidays or ill or whatever, there is a legal obligation in this country to recycle. The owners were doing what they had to do, not deliberately annoying you.

Secondly, you talk about possession and dispossession, commenting about the rug from the Shah of Iran. I am sure the owners acquired the rug legitimately, they did not steal the rug themselves from the Shah, nor - I am completely certain - were they personally responsible for the demise of the aforementioned Shah. The same argument pertains to other items within the accommodation.

Finally, you talk about the presence of spirits and a "presence". Again - hearsay. You do not have proof.

You state that you only stayed on night - did you bring up your grievances with the owners/management? did you discuss your issues with them?

While I accept that you may not have been happy in the accommodation, I feel the arguments you raise are, quite frankly, disingenuous. Bad food, rude staff, bedbugs are all legitimate reasons for being unhappy with accommodation. Recycling, Political Opinion, Poor taste in Decor and Irrational feelings, IMHO, are not.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
4. Re: Large Family staying at Ross Castle

"Then the people who own it are very nice but annoying "

So which is it? I would be hard-pressed to think of annying people as being nice, and vice versa!

(Kudos to Bean on this one!)

Sarasota, FL
5. Re: Large Family staying at Ross Castle

I got some questions:

Was this ghost part of the renovations or paid for my others?

Is this ghost an example of the insistence on recycling?

and finally

Did the ghost pay standard rack rate or did they get a deal?

Inquiring minds want to know!

6. Re: Large Family staying at Ross Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Galway