We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenny's Book Shop Galway

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
reviews: 10
Kenny's Book Shop Galway

For those of you who are interested, the famous all over the world bookshop, Kenny's Bookshop in High Street, Galway is closing its doors, and only doing online business from now on. The art gallery is being relocated to the Docks.

Another famous landmark gone.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
1. Re: Kenny's Book Shop Galway

What a pity. What is the next part of Irish society to be ripped from us?

Thanks Whales.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
2. Re: Kenny's Book Shop Galway

Sorry to see them go. On the other hand, they did the infamous "dynamic currency conversion" scam on me and gave grief when I protested, so maybe it's karma.

ireland
3. Re: Kenny's Book Shop Galway

irishfan

what was that - did they rip you off?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
4. Re: Kenny's Book Shop Galway

Just Bumped up the Dynamic for you Whales. We had a discussion about this earlier in the summer. Fascinating topic. It surfaces from time to time!!

ireland
5. Re: Kenny's Book Shop Galway

oh ok thanks beanalainn

you're so nice

dublin, ireland
reviews: 11
6. Re: Kenny's Book Shop Galway

I just read that in the paper, Whales - terrible that it's going. Old Mrs Kenny is a real institution and it's sad to think of her not being behind the counter anymore. Kenny's are quite expensive and have to admit I never actually bought anything there - but I did admire lots of things though!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
7. Re: Kenny's Book Shop Galway

I think they catered mostly to visitors, not so much the locals. Prior to their "dynamic scam" I used to load up on a few books when I visited, but most of what I was interested in could be found right down the street at Eason's.

Same as here in the States, the indpendent book shops are going away, between on-line shopping and the big superstores they can't compete.

ireland
8. Re: Kenny's Book Shop Galway

ya, she is 87 years of age now and had to be nearly forced to retire. It will be sad to see it go - y'know anytime you would give directions to somebody, you would always say to them, well, do you know where Kenny's book shop is.....more often than not, it would be the one thing that they did know. then you could give them the directions from that point at Kenny's book shop.

That's really bad what happened with the Dynamic Currency thingy. I had never ever heard of it before now.

I just hope hope that they don't try to squeeze another big superpub into the building now - there is enough pubs down this street already.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 41
9. Re: Kenny's Book Shop Galway

Yes, saw it in the Irish Times this morning and was really sad to read that Kenny's is closing its doors. I have many memories of happy hours spent browsing through the books and looking at the paintings and sculptures. Good to hear that the gallery is relocating but it won't be same. The shop was such a good mix of reading and art. Browsing online simply cannot compare to actually holding a book and leafing through it! But anyway, good luck to the Kenny family.

dublin, ireland
reviews: 11
10. Re: Kenny's Book Shop Galway

Nice to see another bookshop there...but knowing our luck, it'll probably end up becoming a starbucks or something ...their Irish takeover has already begun...

Get answers to your questions about Galway