We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Contamination Alert in Galway

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Luxembourg City...
reviews: 4
Water Contamination Alert in Galway

Hi All

This topic is all over the news here in Ireland but for anyone reading this outside Ireland I just wanted to tell anyone considering a trip to Galway in the near future that there is considerable alarm at the moment about the quality of the water in the area.

Many people in the city and county have been hospitalised with stomach/gastro complaints linked to a parasite in the water. Everyone in the area is being told to boil their water before they use it and it has become a serious public health issue.

By all accounts the restaurants, pubs and hotels are really working hard to make sure that they are taking the necessary precautions but it sounds like it's a fairly serious problem and that it's not going to be fixed overnight.

Apparently it's due to out of date sewage treatment works on Lough Corrib where the city and some of the county gets its water supply so it will obviously take a long time to fix the problem and coming in to the summer it will probably get worse before it gets better.

I'm sure it's not a reason not to go to Galway but it is something visitors should be aware of before they go - especially children and people with weak immune systems.

United States
reviews: 37
1. Re: Water Contamination Alert in Galway

Dear Beefree,

We are traveling in Ireland in the Galway area around July 23 for a week. Before that, we will be driving from Dublin and seeing the south, southwest-Kinsale, Killarney, Dingle. We are especially going to Ashford Castle in Cong for one night. Should we skip that area? Is there a way to go around and end up in the Connemara area? Or just by-pass Galway and environs? Do you know what specific areas use Lough Corrib water?

Thanks so much for your reply. I am in the middle of making reservations for our trip, as better to do it sooner rather than later.

Thanks again!!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
reviews: 38
2. Re: Water Contamination Alert in Galway

Eyesee,

Don't bypass Galway. Everybody in Galway and the Galway area is either boiling their water or using bottled water.

To get it into perspective, there are probably about 200,000 people in the affected area and there have been about 150 reported cases of illness. There have been no deaths and none are expected.

If the situation still continues when you are there, the management of where you are staying will tell you what to do. You will be advised to wash your teeth using bottled or cooled boiled water and only to use either bottled or previously boiled water or water provided from water tankers.

I would have no problems taking my family to Galway at the moment.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 1
3. Re: Water Contamination Alert in Galway

Just to make you aware, a lot of the old houses in the Galway area will have their own wells for water supply. So if you're interested in staying in a specific hotel/inn just ring them and ask.

I just rang a place that I'm interested in and they have their own well which has been cleared for use by the health board.

Bay Village, Ohio
reviews: 21
4. Re: Water Contamination Alert in Galway

We are staying in Headford at Lisdonagh House north of Galway in late May. Is this area also affected by the water problem?

Portland
reviews: 12
5. Re: Water Contamination Alert in Galway

We were in County Galway Maarch 17-19 and suffered no ill effects at all. While stayed at Ballynahinch Castle Hotel (and ate several meals there), we also ate in Clifden and at Moran's Oyster Cottage just south of Galway City. Bottle water was readily available, but we did brush our teeth with the tap water with no problems.

Galway is just too wonderful to miss so I encourage everyone to visit this lovely place and just take extra precautions if you plan on visiting an affected area.

Boston...
reviews: 24
6. Re: Water Contamination Alert in Galway

I've been in some out of the way places in China and Mexico, and so long as you don't drink the tap water (or ice in your drinks) you are most likely going to be fine. Do remember the ice, though. A coworker of mine got Coke WITH ice and *was* really sick for a few days. Maybe ask your server if the ice is from tap or boiled/bottled water.

Waterford, Ireland
reviews: 3
7. Re: Water Contamination Alert in Galway

Notice in today's newspapers:

'Galway is open for business.

Galway City tourism and business interests taking a proactive approach to water contamination in the area.

Actions being implemented by accommodation providers include:

- provision of bottled water in bedrooms for brushing teeth.

- importing of ice from outside the city.

- use of cooled boiled water for food preparation.

Water approved for bathing by the Health Service Executive.

The following regions are NOT affected:

Connemara west of Barna

Galway county

- west of Moycullen

- south of Oranmore

- north of Tuam

- east of Athenry

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 33
8. Re: Water Contamination Alert in Galway

Chris came down with a fairly bad stomach last week possibly because she had Ice in her drinks not somthing you put in Guinness we will both be more carefull over the next few days.

Yes we are going back, take more than a few bactiria to stop us.

ireland
reviews: 10
9. Re: Water Contamination Alert in Galway

dont panic

the hotels and pubs are going out of their way to accommodate. They will supply you with bottle water for teeth brushing, etc. The pubs are buying in ice ffrom other areas so they are not even making ice. They have everything covered.

I have been brushing my teeth in the water all along and have had no side effects.

I think you should be aware, but at the same time, don't panic.

Ireland
reviews: 2
10. Re: Water Contamination Alert in Galway

Re Lisdonagh House - It is not connected to the affected water supply, so there should be no problem. Indeed, the Headford Town water supply has now been connected to a Treatment Works which is able to treat Cryptosporidium.

Galway City is still affected but all businesses and accomodation suppliers appear to have nade arrangements to work around it and I do not think tourists are at any danger

One of the positive elements is that many shops are selling bottled water cheaper than previously, some of the supermarkets aree selling it at cost price so it might be a good idea to stock up in Galway before you move on