We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to travel?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
Best time to travel?

I was wondering what the best time to go to Dublin is based on weather, price, and fewer tourists? I was thinking either May or September. Which would be best? Also, does Dublin get a lot of rain, and if so, in what months?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
reviews: 34
1. Re: Best time to travel?

Both months are lovely. As always, it's impossible to predict the weather. But with both months you have the possibility of having warm and sunny weather - or not. Dublin gets plenty of rain at any given time of year, although the weather patterns for the last two or three years have been drier than average.

As far as tourists, both months will be quieter than the summer months.

Really, both May and September are great months to visit.

Toronto, Ontario
2. Re: Best time to travel?

Thanks for your help.

Is Dublin a place that can be easily toured by foot/public transportation, or is a car required? I don't feel comfortable driving in a foreign country. How good is the public transportation there?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 22
3. Re: Best time to travel?

SUNYD, i vote for may...have been both months and i love may...the days are longer, the flowers are in beautiful bloom, the tourist aren't as many.....

you can see lots of things in dublin without driving, i would never drive in dublin, never never never....now as for the rest of your holiday i wouldn't even consider public transportation....there is just too much to see that you can see using it....

Humptulips...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Best time to travel?

Hi sunyd. Both are nice, but given a choice, I'd choose May. This past one wasn't great overall, but I've had good luck then. As stated, everything is in bloom. There are also alot of little animals around. Enjoy.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
reviews: 34
5. Re: Best time to travel?

You really don't need a car in Dublin. There is a good public transport service. You can use dublin bus (dublinbus.ie) and the Luas to get around the city and to go further afield the DART and Bus Eireann (www.buseireann.ie).

A number of day trips can be made by bus or train, e.g. Kilkenny, Newgrange.

A car would be useful for exploring Wicklow and other parts of the countryside. You could consider just hiring a car for one or two days of your visit.

Humptulips...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Best time to travel?

Dublin is quite small, and walking around isn't a problem. There is a bus that you can hop on and off of at your leisure. Cheers. www.dublinbus.ie/sightseeing/cityTour.aspx

Toronto, Ontario
7. Re: Best time to travel?

Thanks for everybody's advice/suggestions. It is all very helpful.

How many days would be good to spend in Dublin if I want to see all the main tourist sites and enjoy the city at a leisurely pace? 5 or 6 perhaps?

Also, how far are other main cities by bus? Like Kilarney for example?

Thanks again,

sunyd

Dublin
reviews: 93
8. Re: Best time to travel?

sunyd, there's also a bus (which you can catch at the top of Dawson Street near St. Stephen's Green) called the St. Kevin's Bus which will take you out to Glendalough in Wicklow by a scenic route. It's worth considering if you do not hire a car to see Wicklow.

October is not a bad time of year in Dublin, although there's a greater likelihood of greyer, wetter days. But today was sublimely beautiful, quite warm and the russet colours of the leaves on the trees were a sight to behold. The same is true of the Wicklow mountains which you will really have to visit when you are in Ireland.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 38
9. Re: Best time to travel?

sunyd, yours was a double post and people actually also replied to the other post.

Just wanted to let you know in case you didn't realise this!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 22
10. Re: Best time to travel?

sunyd, it depends on your tastes i suppose...i can't imagine what i would find to do for 5-6 days in dublin...i think arrival day and one more will help you cover everything that is a really well like tourist site....

we saw trinity college, 29 fitzwilliam, the post office, the presidents house, and guinness in one day....also the beautiful park....we did this by using the hop on/off bus with the exception of 29 fitzwilliam....

if you like being among a million or more people, it's your kind of place...if you like to pay more for a pint, meals, and attractions, and accommodations, this may be made for you....i love the smaller areas where i can get to know the irish people....so it's all a matter of taste.....

have fun whatever you do....