We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excess insurance from third party company

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hyderabad, India
Excess insurance from third party company

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has bought excess insurance from companies like iCarhireinsurance.com or any other companies for car rental at Dublin. Can anyone share their experience with buying the excess protection from these insurance and denying excess protection at the car rental.

Thanks

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
reviews: 23
1. Re: Excess insurance from third party company

See this comparison site for excess insurance: moneymaxim.co.uk/compare-car-hire-excess-ins…

However no idea which is reliable in terms of paying out!

There is no problem declining super cover which reduces your excess from around EUR2000 to EUR100. However the car hire co. will place a hold on your card for the excess - i.e. EUR 2000 so you must have enough credit limit. In case of damage the car hire co. will charge your credit card and it is up to you to get the necessary documentation and to make the claim against your excess insurance.

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 30
2. Re: Excess insurance from third party company

You need to check what is covered. many will not cover items like Recovery of damaged cars and other incidentals, You will also be charged a fee between €30 =€50 as an Administration fee for changing underwriters. Any Claim will be taken from the "Hold" by the rental company and it will be your responsibility to process the recovery of as much as your independent insurer permits.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
3. Re: Excess insurance from third party company

There is no admin fee if you decline super-cover. Which is what I assume the OP means by 'excess insurance' and reference to iCarhireinsurance.com.

Hyderabad, India
4. Re: Excess insurance from third party company

Thanks Dyoll, You are correct. I meant to ask about the super-cover insurance. I got a quote and its a lot more affordable than the excess fees charged by car hiring company. I have copy pasted all the coverage here. If anyone has any experience in this area can you please suggest. Do people even take this route or its better off to pay the car hire company without going through with this hassle. Just trying to get a feel for this.

Thanks again.

European Policy

Excess covered to £5000 per Incident and per Car Rental Agreement

Can be used within country of residence

6 named drivers aged between 21 and 84 allowed on policy with no extra charge

Includes £30 per day of curtailment or restitution cover in case of accident or illness requiring drivers hospitalisation

Includes £100 of lock out cover

Includes £10000 of personal accident cover

£300 of cover for costs of returning hire car to depot in case of accident or illness requiring drivers hospitalisation

£500 of lost key cover

£300 of baggage cover (excess may apply to baggage claims)

£500 of misfuelling cover

Towing costs covered to policy limit following accident and mechanical breakdown

Policy is covered by Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)

Policyholders can be resident anywhere in the world

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
5. Re: Excess insurance from third party company

Doesn't cover compensation to hire co. for loss of use while being repaired. Big question is how good they are to pay out - I'd like to read some positive experience on this but haven't found much. Obviously a lot to save if you hire a car several times a year. But is it worth the hassle of the complicated paper work (read the claims proceedure!), delay in receiving money and that you still need to check the car thoroughly at start and end of hire and possibly spend a lot of time at return if there has been damage. You decide!

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 30
6. Re: Excess insurance from third party company

Another point to note is that if you do take the Hire car providers full cover you can leave a wreck (figuratively speaking) on the return, whereas taking 3rd party cover might (being cynical) get extra attention to all those minor scratches on return inspection?

Lots of people do take out the 3rd party option and are happy to do so. Only you can decide whether the difference between X & Y makes the possibility of extra hassle worthwhile.

Fort Salonga, NY
reviews: 133
7. Re: Excess insurance from third party company

As someone who rents often from Hertz, all over the World. I take all the insurance that I can get from them and go over the car and have them write down every little mark. The last thing, you want when you are out of time, is for the car person to cause you a problem. It may cost you more money, but it will not ruin your trip.

8. Re: Excess insurance from third party company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 16, 2014