We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally get to go!

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 2
Finally get to go!

The wife and I are finally getting the chance to take a trip. I have always wanted to go to Ireland, and now we are going. What should we be expecting as far as weather in the middle of October? Also, we are doing a self drive trip and have booked stays in of course Dublin, Cork, Kilkenny, Kerry, and Galway.

Does anyone know of any festival or events going on in these towns during this time?

dublin
1. Re: Finally get to go!

You'll have a ball.

Come and enjoy.

Boston...
2. Re: Finally get to go!

Went the first 2 weeks of October 3 years ago and had great weather. Even better - no crowds. Have a ball. I am heading over Tuesday for 2 weeks.

Dundalk, Ireland
reviews: 14
3. Re: Finally get to go!

Welcome to the Forum ,Scott

October in Ireland weather wise can be a bit hit or miss. It`s well into autumn now so the days are shorter but the weather is staying mild with a little rain. It may not stay that way as cold and frosty weather is normal in the last half of October. If your staying in Dublin for a few days then a day trip to Newgrange is not to be missed.

www.newgrange.com

Enjoy your stay and write a review for everybody when you get back

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 71
4. Re: Finally get to go!

Have a look at page 22 & page 23 of tourismirelandinfo.com/newsroom/upload/festi… for events. There are some in your itinerary and hopefully coincide with your planned dates.

if they don't no matter - you'll still have a great time. Also bring a breathable rain mac just in case. weather is still mild and set to remain so all this week.

Atlanta, Georgia
5. Re: Finally get to go!

Thanks for the feedback! Newgrange looks interesting. As far as the festivals go, it looks like the only thing happening is the arts festival in Galway. We do have a cruise at the cliffs one of the days but I intesionally left our days open to be able to explore. This sounded much better than having to deal with set times and a bunch of people on a bus.

Illinois
reviews: 7
6. Re: Finally get to go!

We are here now and it can be sunny one minute and rainy the next. Yesterday we had pretty decent weather at the Cliffs of Mohr but Galway had a monsoon from what we heard today. Lots of rainbows here. It's actually been much warmer this week than we anticipated -- we've worn REI hiking pants, long sleeved tees, vests and raincoats primarily. Our warmer stuff, like fleece pullovers, haven't gotten used much. But who knows!!!

PS We didn't personally go there but we talked to several people who weren't all that impressed with Cork. Just passing that along in case you have several days there. We loved Kilkenny and Rock of Cashel in case that's not in your plans.

Edited: 4:17 pm, October 04, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
7. Re: Finally get to go!

Well, We went on our trip! It was great. We spent 2 days in Dublin. The Davenport Hotel was pretty nice except we had no hot water the second morning. On the full day we had there, we went to the castle, temple bar area, Of course Grafton street and ended up at a really nice restaurant called "House" on Leesen st. I highly recommend house. We left there and headed toward Kilkenny in our rental car. Driving there is not to bad, even after a couple of days the roundabouts were pretty easy to navigate. Kilkenny was really nice as well and we stayed at the Dunromin B&B. Val set us up with sight seeing options and things to look at pretty much for our hole trip. The only thing I would say is to avoid lanigans. My blt sandwich made me sick as well did the fish and chips the wife had.

Anyway on with the trip. We left there and headed to Cork. Didn't get to see much of Cork due to getting there late in the evening. We stayed at the Hayfield which was very nice and had a late dinner left the next morning. We had 2 days in Killarney and stayed at the Carriglea house. Highly reccommend as well, close to everything and very nice host. While there we spent alot of time in town and also went to the muckross house. No matter how much time you spend in Killarney you have to go to the Muckross house park across from the park and take the jaunty ride to the house and back very cool and the jarvy we had His name is Jerry shared so much information about the history of Muckross. From there we went on the Cliffs of Mohr Cruise and then to Galway which was another waste due to getting there so late. We ran around the town the next morning and did some Christmas shopping there. The next and final stop was Clifden which is where we lounged and drank and listened to some good music at the pubs. We stayed at the Abbyglen Castle in Clifden which was great. the dinner was nice and after the bar in the castle is very lively.

All and All it was hard to leave Ireland! Definitely the best trip we have had in a long time.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 71
8. Re: Finally get to go!

Glad you enjoyed it. Hope the weather met your vexpectations.

9. Re: Finally get to go!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 30, 2014