We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Flin Flon, Canada
reviews: 18
Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

I'm a 66 year old retired school teacher from Canada. My wife and i are going to spend a week travelling in Ireland but she wants to visit with our latest grandchild in England. i want to continue in Ireland for a few extra days. I'm going to try hostels as a way of keeping my costs down. I've never done this before. My concern is how can i find a quiet hostel in Dublin that is not too expensive and where i won't be the only senior citizen.

Waterford, Ireland
reviews: 3
1. Re: Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

No-one can guarantee that you will not be the only senior citizen, but it will not matter, hostellers tend to be very easy-going and open minded about other travellers.

Dublin
reviews: 2
2. Re: Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

I could be wrong but I think this is a non starter. Unless you are a very, very heavy sleeper. People break rules galore here so I wouldn't be relying on enforcement of noise controls, curfews etc, in the hostels.

Some hotels are at rock bottom prices at the moment, I'll get you started with this one which I'd recommend:

www.kingstonhotel.com

Ireland
3. Re: Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

I'd find a B+B pr cheap hotel.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
reviews: 38
4. Re: Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

Gerry, I agree with Nice and Purple.

A B&B or hotel would suit your needs far better.

Are you planning to focus on Dublin or are you hoping to travel further afield?

Dublin Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
reviews: 25
5. Re: Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

Like other posters, I think finding anything quiet will be the issue. B&B might be a better option for you

Flin Flon, Canada
6. Re: Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

Thanks everyone . I am not only new to hostelling. i've never used a chat room before. Alright I guess I'm looking for a B&B. I checked out the Kingston Hotel - it wasn't cheap, and it is across Dublin from the airport where i ultimately want to be the next day. I'm coming into the city from Carlow by public transport. So it makes sense to be on the west side and near a bus route. HPurple: Did you mean hotel prices are at rock bottom because of the season or is there something else going on with the local economy? I'm not making my trip for several months.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
7. Re: Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

Gerry, we have a lot of hotels here that are trading at break-even only or even less. They are not making profit and are colloquially known as "Zombie Hotels". They were built at the height of the Celtic Tiger but there isn't the demand any more. However because they have been taken over by financial institutions they are not playing by the rules of other hotels and can charge less.

As a result many of the profitable hotels are having to reduce margins and prices in order to compete with them.

More information here:

eturbonews.com/27845/ireland-s-zombie-hotels

Flin Flon, Canada
8. Re: Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

Ah! That is tragic and yet every one tells me Ireland is swamped in tourists. Is that wrong? And I should explain before someone catches me out and assumes i'm a fake. I said i never used a chat room before. I realized after i submitted that i should have qualified - last evening was the first time and it was the same conversation. Somehow i found myself on the Cardiff Travel Forum responding to a question of how i might find a boat to Devon from Dublin. When i realized that idea practical i started thinking of spending one night in Dublin and then i thought i might be better served looking to see if there was a Dublin Travel Forum

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
9. Re: Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

Gerry we have many tourists and we always welcome more. But we have a surfeit of hotels.

And no need to explain yourself!!

From Devon to Dublin using public transport, there are two routes: Devon to Bristol to Fishguard/Pembroke and a ferry to Rosslare. Or Devon to London then up to Chester and over to Holyhead to get a ferry to Dublin.

(And this is a travel forum, not a chat room. We're not supposed to talk about general things only travel giggle, giggle!!)

dublin
10. Re: Senior citizen considering hostelling in Dublin

Hostel wise, this one might fit the bill.

www.generatorhostels.com/Sale