We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS or OSI Road Atlas?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
GPS or OSI Road Atlas?

I've heard that a GPS sometimes misdirects you, and that an OSI Road Atlas is very thorough. Would the road atlas be sufficient, or should I pay the $70 to have Ireland maps loaded on my Garmin? We plan to go off the beaten path, and I have a good sense of direction and feel like the atlas will be fine. After all, that's what we used before the days of GPS. Thoughts?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 241
11. Re: GPS or OSI Road Atlas?

I would like to agree that the key 'ingredient' on any GPS is up to date and relevant maps to your area of travel, and yes, do look out the windows too !!! Sometimes there are as many clues outside of the cars as there are in the electronic wizardry of a GPS ;-))

Canada
reviews: 56
12. Re: GPS or OSI Road Atlas?

I took both and gps never mislead me once. I would not have ever found Dromberg stone circles with just a map. Signage was almost non-existent. Also gps was great on real forest backroads on Beara.

Off the beaten path map lacked some detail.

13. Re: GPS or OSI Road Atlas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 19, 2014