We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Ireland

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
7 days in Ireland

We will be in Dublin from December 17th to 28th maybe a few days more, please recommend day trips which are not too difficult to manage as I will drive a rented car from Hertz if we do book with them.

How long will it take to drive to Cliffs of Mor for instance ?

Thanks guys

Green Bay WI
reviews: 59
1. Re: 7 days in Ireland

Lollymcd is right. Skip the cliffs, go to Glendalough

Edited: 7:27 pm, November 18, 2012
Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 33
2. Re: 7 days in Ireland

How long from Dublin to the Cliffs of Moher depends on how much you want to explore along the way? Anything from 3 hours to 3 days or more.. To be honest if all you want to do is stand behind a wall 4 ft from a cliff edge and look out at whatever weather the Atlantic decides to throw in your face it just isn't worth the ride.

Dublin
reviews: 101
3. Re: 7 days in Ireland

I was on the Paddywagon site for someone else earlier and spotted some sample Itineraries that you could use...

They're here --> http://www.paddywagontours.com/tours.php

They tie the cliffs of Moher in with the Burren - the caves there are pretty good... so you could just use their list of suggestions to drive around

england
reviews: 8
4. Re: 7 days in Ireland

you are going to have to plan and book Christmas quite soon, you will not be able to 'drop in' and find somewhere. Everywhere will be closed. Probably the only meals you will be able to get will be in your hotel.

Dublin
5. Re: 7 days in Ireland

10 days or more is a great length of time for visiting a few places around Ireland while staying in Dublin.

Christmas day will be a quiet affair in Ireland, so plan a lazy day on the 25th. Also, on the 24th the pubs and restaurants will close early. If you are planning to stay an extra few days, then New Years Eve in Dublin is great fun. In Dublin you really do not need a car unless you stay far outside the city centre.

For day trips from Dublin:

County Wicklow where you could visit Glendalough, the village of Avoca, Powerscourt Gardens or Russborough House.

County Meath where you can visit the Boyne Valley, Newgrange, Monasterboice and Trim Castle.

You could also visit Kilkenny City which has a lovely medieval centre and Kilkenny Castle. This is about a1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from Dublin.

Around Christmas daylight will be limited. You should expect daylight between 8.30 am and 4.30 pm.

Guernsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Dingle, Guernsey, The Burren
reviews: 138
6. Re: 7 days in Ireland

Hmmm . . . as tony2phones has already stated, it's a long drive to the Cliffs. I'd factor min 3hrs each way if you're driving from the city centre, and I do wonder if it's worth driving all that way . . . .

If this is your one-and-only trip to Ireland and you feel you "must" see the Cliffs, it might be worth considering an overnight stay in Galway city. (I think many places closer to the Cliffs will be closed over this period).

Do you know if your hotel has parking? And are you sure you need a car? Dublin is a confusing city to drive around (speaking from personal experience here!) and parking can be very expensive.

There are several day-trips you can make by guided tour or public transport, although, as you're staying over Christmas, some sites like Newgrange (which I highly recommend you visit if at all possible) are closed from 24th-27th December.

You can find details here:

www.heritageireland.ie/en/midlandseastcoast/

Glendalough in the Wicklow Mountains is another site well worth visiting any time of the year; there are no details on the heritage site of closures over the Christmas period, so it might be worth checking before you head in that direction.

Not wanting to put you off visiting Ireland for Christmas: I'm happy to be in Ireland any time of the year, but it just takes a bit more organising and thought over this period.

Have you seen this website which details events in the Dublin area over Christmas:

http://www.visitdublin.com/events/Christmas/

Edited: 11:29 am, November 20, 2012
Boston
7. Re: 7 days in Ireland

That vist Dublin site is very useful thanks everyone

8. Re: 7 days in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, December 16, 2013