We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
reviews: 41
dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

We will be visiting Ireland in March 2013 & would love to visit Newgrange/Knowth on the way from Dublin to Oughterard (where we plan to stay for 2 nights to explore Connemara Nat Park). We can get an early start from Dublin if needs be. Some questions ... any replies to even one of these questions greatly appreciated!

1. Realistically how much time should we allow at Newgrange & other sites? We are not very quick visitors to most places!

2. If we spend most of the day there then should we stay overnight somewhere on the way to Connemara? Any suggestions for a b&b or other nice location not too hard to find but maybe off the M6?

3. Is Oughterard a good location for 2 nights to explore some of Connemara National Park? After that we're on our way south.

Thanks!

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 30
1. Re: dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

You could do the drive to Oughterard the same day provided you are rested, a good bit would be motorway (no doubt you would be coming in through Europe). Having said that I would have a night in Galway, lot more to do than Oughterard. Drive the N59 route to Clifden as a base for the National park. What does the whole itinerary look like?

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186607-i428-k54123…

melbourne
2. Re: dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

Thanks so much for your reply! Well, you asked for it - here is the draft itinerary - I've just started ...!!!

Originally coming from Australia ... Flying into Dublin after seeing the northern lights in Norway (hopefully!):

12 nights total in Ireland:

Dublin (2 nights)

Newgrange ... on to Connemara ... 1 night??

Oughterard (or other Connemara location - 2 nights)

Doolin (1 night) - for the music!

Adare for a visit

Dingle (2 nights)

Cashel (1 night)

Kilkenny (2 nights)

Glendalough (1 night)

Missing the Ring of Kerry but already feel like we're doing too much for the time we have. What do you think??? Thanks so much for your interest.

Guernsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Dingle, Guernsey, The Burren
reviews: 138
3. Re: dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

barnster

I visited Newgrange and Knowth a few years ago: arrived at 0930am and left just after lunch: about 2pm. Note that Knowth is only open from Easter to end of October; well worth visiting as the site is quite different to Newgrange:

heritageireland.ie/en/…

http://www.knowth.com/knowth.htm

Note that tours of Newgrange and Knowth are timed and accompanied by a guide; you won't have alot of time to linger unfortunately as the bus will be waiting to take you back to the visitor centre. I could easily have spent a whole day there! If you're visiting during Easter holidays recommend you arrive as soon as the centre opens in order to get on one of the early tours.

Newgrange to Galway will take min 3hrs; the aa routeplanner takes you via the M1/M50 outskirts of Dublin. When I drove west from Newgrange, I went via Navan and Trim and picked up the motorway at Kinnegad, as I prefer country roads and rural scenery to motorways.

The rest of your itinerary looks really nice :-)

On your drive from Connemara to Doolin you'll be passing through the Burren: a fascinating limestone landscape scattered with historic sites dating back to prehistory:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren…

flickr.com/photos/…

Lots of folk find Doolin too busy/touristy, and yes, the pubs do employ musicians to entertain the crowds, but it does make a logical overnight stop en-route to Dingle. I prefer the Roadford end of the village, which is where you'll find McGann's and McDermott's pubs; both offer decent pub food:

http://www.mcdermottspubdoolin.com/

http://www.mcgannspubdoolin.com/

this is a nice place to stay - and has a good restaurant too:

http://www.roadfordrestaurant.com/

Rather than visit Adare en-route to Dingle, you could take this route down the west coast of Clare:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i21401-West_C…

Dingle is one of my favourite areas in Ireland, and in fact, I'm hoping to be back there next March:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19068-Best_o…

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19854-Dingle…

flickr.com/photos/…

On departing Dingle, you could stop in Adare en-route for Cashel/Kilkenny.

I do wonder if you need 1 night in Cashel, 2 nights in Kilkenny, as they're only 60-75minutes drive apart. If you felt 2 nights in Kilkenny was adequate, you might want to consider a night in co. Meath after visiting Newgrange etc. This would give you time for Hill of Tara, Trim Castle and other sites, then 3 nights for Connemara/Galway

Nice to see someone taking time to overnight in Glendalough; best time of day to see this site is late afternoon when all the tour buses have left. We stayed here which is within walking distance of the monastic site - and a very pleasant walk by the river:

http://www.glendalough.eu.com/

this is supposed to be a very nice place for dinner; unfortunately we left it too late to book:

http://www.thewicklowheather.com/

This routeplanner may help you gauge drive-times, but recommend you add a further 20% to quoted times to allow for driving on unfamiliar roads and possible delays:

http://routes.aaireland.ie/#

Car rental advice:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c138899/Irela…

:-)

melbourne
4. Re: dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

Thank you SO much for your fantastic reply. We will be taking up all your suggestions. We prefer country road options to motorway too so will do as you suggest & go via Navan & Trim after Newgrange. The info on the tour time is very useful. If we were left to ourselves I think we would be spending the whole day there too - we do tend to stay at various attractions longer than anyone else. We were also trying to spend 2 nights in our stops rather than 1 but clearly have not managed this in our itinerary! The suggestion about spending a night in co. Meath as an alternative to a night in Cashel later on is great - I didn't realise Cashel & Kilkenny were that close. Love all your suggestions on restaurants & places to stay. I can see we will have to lose some weight beforehand to make up for all the food we will clearly be consuming during our trip! The car hire link is GREAT. Thank you again so much. I am really excited now & can't wait until we leave. Regards, Karen.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 22
5. Re: dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

oughterard is one of my favorite villages...now that is me...i just love the friendliness and the slow laid back pace...if you don't have a b&b yet i would be happy to recommend one...just let me know......

also, have you heard about the glengowla rock mine just outside there?.....it is well worth the time, great tour and mining history is really interesting, not to mention the lovely gifts made of the rocks mined at very reasonable prices....

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 30
6. Re: dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

From my link above...

Glengowla Lead and Silver Mines were the first mines to be opened to the public as a show mine. There is a lot more to the site than just a good interesting mine tour through the Marble Chambers. There is a heritage centre with historic layout, Turf cutting Bog and even a Petting farm for the youngsters

http://www.glengowlamines.ie/index.htm

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
7. Re: dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

tony you are right...i was just hitting the high lights...thank you for finishing up the info.....

do you know i have been there three times and i have never seen the petting farm....how did i miss that?...where is it located on the grounds?....i would love to have pics of kids doing that....

melbourne
8. Re: dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

Thanks for all this great info. Oughterard it is then! And by all means suggest a b&b!! And about the mine .... as someone who is claustrophobic how do you reckon I'd go in the mine?

San Diego...
reviews: 8
9. Re: dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

We stayed in leenane when exploring the Connemara area.. From what I remember it's a little further than oughterard but it's a gorgeous town because it's situated on the killary fjord. We absolutely loved it. We stayed at the portfinnlodge and it was quite nice.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
10. Re: dublin to oughterard via newgrange - accommodation on way??

if i did this correctly this is the site for westerway b&b in oughterard....your hostess, edwina, is wonderful and will make you feel right at home...she will answer your emails promptly too....be sure and tell her elaine from texas sent you....

oughterardtourism.com/mysitecaddy/site3/west…