We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel shall I pick?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Which hotel shall I pick?

I'd like to book a surprise trip for myself and my boyfriend to Dublin but I know nothing about the City. Can anyone recommend a hotel, please? I've been told to stay as close to Temple Bar as possible - is this where the night-life is? Basically I can't afford anything too expensive but am willing to pay enough not to end up somewhere run down! We only want to stay a couple of nights so the expense isn't the major issue, I just want to pick somewhere nice that is close to the shops, bars and restaurants.

Thank you!

Ireland
1. Re: Which hotel shall I pick?

Hi, try jurys.com - and pick the Christchurch hotel which is pretty near temple bar and shopping.

Ireland
reviews: 29
2. Re: Which hotel shall I pick?

Hi there

I am staying in the Temple Bar Hotel on 4th September, if that is not too late for you I will let you know what it is like. It has got good reviews here. I got it for €99 for the room including breakfast, I know where it is and it is very central for shopping (which is what I will be doing) and for the night life in Temple Bar. The pub attached to it is good but there is lots of choice. It is basically between O Connell Street and Grafton Street, both shopping areas of Dublin. It is also nice to walk around Grafton St in the evening as you will find there is someone playing music or doing magic or something else. www.templebarhotel.co ( I think) although I got a better rate when I rang rather than on the website.

Let me know if you want me to report back.

Have fun!!

Dublin
reviews: 93
3. Re: Which hotel shall I pick?

Temple Bar, the centre of the Dublin universe. How sad.

barcelona
reviews: 1
4. Re: Which hotel shall I pick?

why insightful? Haven't been to Dublin in fifteen years, and then I wasn't old enough to know what temple bar was.... so, I'm a little bit lost!

texas, u.s.a.
5. Re: Which hotel shall I pick?

On a similar note, my wife and I are traveling to Dublin in late October and are looking to stay in a luxury hotel close to Trinity College, but the Merrion is a little over the top ($300+/night). Friends who haven't been to Dublin in a while have suggested La Stampa, the Fitzwilliam, the Westbury, the Alexander and the Davenport, but there are several critical reviews on this site to the effect that all of those properties are now pretty "worn." Any suggestions for a great hotel under $300/night in South City Centre?

Sterling, VA
reviews: 16
6. Re: Which hotel shall I pick?

How about No. #31? Read the reviews here. Everyone (almost seems to have loved it. Haven't been there yet but can't wait to go. It sounds like many of the hotels accommodate tour groups and groups of partying people. If you want a good night's sleep and a hotel near to everything, it seemed like the perfect choice to me.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 33
7. Re: Which hotel shall I pick?

Don't stay in Temple Bar. There are lots of good hotels in city centre outside of Temple Bar. In a nutshell Temple bar has been taken over by British stag/hen parties and drunk tourists. There are very few pubs in Temple bar that people who live in Dublin would frequent...Thomas Reeds/Foggy Dew. Temple Bar is noisy, smelly, and dirty. You are better staying in Jurys Christchurch (10min stroll from Temple Bar), the Trinity Capital Hotel, or even stretching your legs and going out to the suburbs to avoid the sky high prices in town for good hotels.

Just did a web search for dublin hotels (I live here so have no need for them) and the Mercer Hotel on Sat Oct 8 is €80, the Mont Clare is €105, Jurys Christchurch €65 (all per person per night...I know it's steep), but just saw Longfields at €55pppn which is really close to city centre, a really nice location, and I think it's nice.

Dublin Ireland
reviews: 1
8. Re: Which hotel shall I pick?

The Westin is the closest hotel to Trinity. It is very luxurious - rooms are not huge (same as any city then) but superbly fitted out as are the great bathrooms. You might get a deal. If you have airmiles with a major carrier you may be able to redeem them here.

Dublin, Ireland
9. Re: Which hotel shall I pick?

Temple bar is a nice spot to visit but can be extreemly noise at night. Hard to sleep with the thumping of music till 3 in the morning.

Jury's Christchurch is a nice spot or Jury's Custom House. Both close to the city centre and Temple Bar, and reasonably priced.

The nightlife in Dublin isn't just around Temple Bar, you'll have your choice of clubs and pubs spread around the city. But it is a good place to start.