We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Belfast.

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Renting a car in Belfast.

I will be arriving in Belfast in early September and planned on renting a car.

The only problem is, I am only 21 and the major car rental companies will not rent me a car big enough to accomodate for my 4 friends and I.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone that I can hire a car from without this age restriction?

Also, If we are unable to rent a car, how is it traveling around Belfast and into the Republic by other means (rail, bus, etc.)?

Thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
1. Re: Renting a car in Belfast.

City Center of Belfast is walkable for most sights. I ended up taking a taxi from city center to the Ulster Musuem on advice of the hotel but walked back with no problem.

Frequent bus and train service. Bus station is right in the city center, train station a short walk away.

Can't help with the car rental, sorry.

Ireland
reviews: 7
2. Re: Renting a car in Belfast.

Post this in the UK forum in the Northern Ireland section and you should get more responses.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
3. Re: Renting a car in Belfast.

Take a look at www.buseireann.ie and www.irishrail.ie These are the Irish Bus and Rail Services Websites respectively.

The train ride between Belfast and Dublin is spectacular - it travels for a fair bit along the coast and even crosses some inlets of water. It is actually much nicer, scenery wise, than travelling by car.

You should have no problems getting busses to where you go. Belfast is a University City and as a result there are lots of young people travelling around there.

Where in the Republic do you plan to visit? Are you and your friends students? Do you have student cards which may enable you to get student discounts on travel etc?

Philadelphia
4. Re: Renting a car in Belfast.

We would like to go to the Cliffs of Moore, the Aran Islands, Limerick, Ring of Kerry, Cork, Dublin, then back to Belfast.

I'm taking any and all suggestions.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
5. Re: Renting a car in Belfast.

Hi there - it is very easy to get from Belfast to Dublin by train or indeed by bus (the train is more expensive, but the scenery is wonderful). It is very easy to get from Dublin to Limerick by train or bus.

Bus Eireann do day trips to the Cliffs of Moher from Limerick. Limerick and Cork are well served by both trains and busses.

You can do Limerick to Killarney by train but its a very circuitous route. The bus is much cheaper and more direct. From Killarney you can take bus tours on the Ring of Kerry, to Dingle. You can get a conventional bus from Killarney to Dingle. If you google "Ring of Kerry Bus Tours" you will get lots of companies that do this.

I don't know about the Aran Islands but think Bus Eireann do a tour there.

Hope this has helped. Take Care.

Ireland
reviews: 9
6. Re: Renting a car in Belfast.

I Reeron: You can probably travel by public transport- but I think, if you can get one, a car would be the best idea. There are a number of the major car rental companies at Belfast International Airport- Hertz, Budget etc. You should check with them about the age restrictions.

If you want to visit Belfast for a few days, and then hire a car, which might keep the cost down for a few days at least, there is a car rental place on Great Victoria Street in Belfast- I THINK its Budget- its not far from the bus station at Europa anyway. I hired a car here when I was around 21. If you have not too much luggage a smaller car may be able to fit five at a push.

Have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Ireland
reviews: 7
7. Re: Renting a car in Belfast.

MullMick is right with name of the hire company in Great Victoria Street, Belfast being Budget but I've just checked and their lower age limit is 23, so no use to you.

Ireland
reviews: 9
8. Re: Renting a car in Belfast.

Darn- sorry Reeron- back to the drawing board :)