We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding venue

Which Donegal Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 3
Wedding venue

Hi,

My boyfriend proposed to me last week while we were on holiday & I said YES!! We would love to get married in Donegal & are staying in Derry for Christmas so are local to Donegal to check out venues. Can anyone recommend any hotels/venues.

Or is there anyone that got married in Donegal that has any advise.

Will be grateful for any information/advise.

Many thanks,

Ash

Belfast
reviews: 16
1. Re: Wedding venue

Now I didnt get married in Donegal but I know a lot of people who have talked about using Harveys Point http://www.harveyspoint.com for weddings. A friend had his reception in Jacksons Hotel in Ballybofey which was good. If you plan to get married around Christmas you need to get things moving. Its not unheard of for reception venues to be booked out 2-3 years in advance especially at weekends. A lot of people would from many of the surounding counties like Derry & Tyrone would use Donegal hotels for wedding receptions so they are in high demand. Christmas is a popular enough time for weddings. I hope you get something sorted and good luck (wherever you get married)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 41
2. Re: Wedding venue

Congratulations to both of you! Harvey's Point on Lough Eske seems to be quite popular indeed. I never stayed there myself but had a drink in the hotel some years ago and there was a wedding in full swing. Probably worth checking out. Another place I could suggest is the Redcastle Hotel (now reopened after refurbishment as Carlton Redcastle, http://carltonredcastle.ie). I stayed there some years ago and really liked it. Redcastle is also not far from Derry.

london
3. Re: Wedding venue

Thanks thegrant & claud, we plan to marry Sept 2007 but will be over this christmas looking at venues. I've had a quick look at the venues you have mentioned & they are definatley the sort of thing we are looking for.

Again, thanks for your help.

Ash

Bristol, United...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Wedding venue

Hi Ash,

Firstly let me congratulate you both on your recent engagement.

Its great that you're getting married in Donegal. Good choice.

Check out this site www.ostangweedore.com.

The hotel is lovely and sits directly on a great stretch of beach which would be ideal for a long romantic stroll. You can take in some great scenery. Theres a golf course further along the beach and also the local graveyard! Oh and of course the local GAA club which is home to the world famous Gweedore Celtic and wild thursday night bingo. lol

The church nearby is in Derrybeg, not your old traditional type churches, but quite a modern round dome style church which is a 5 minute drive from the beach.

There is plenty to do if you plan on hanging around a few days:

1. A night out in Huidi Beags bar is a must complete with outside smoker friendly openair hut! Optional.

2. Climbing Errigal mountain -

3. Dunlewy - this is a must - the most breathtaking scenery in the world. You can take a boat trip out on the lake.

4. Tour of the Atlantic drive

5. Bloody Foreland.

6. Trip to Leos bar (home to clannad and enya)

and so much more to mention.

Where ever you end up I'm sure it will be really special.

If you need anymore info just let me know.

london
5. Re: Wedding venue

Hi Irishrambler, another venue on the list for us to look at over Chirstmas. Thanks, Ash

Ireland
reviews: 7
6. Re: Wedding venue

Congratulations to you both and best of luck with your wedding plans.

My sister got married in Harveys Point two years ago and it was fantastic, if I were to do it again it would definitely be the place. The hotel is beautiful and weddings are very big business for them, so they are very professional. I got married in the Redcastle Hotel, so I can recommend it too, and have been to many weddings there too, the refurbishment looks great. The Redcastle would probably be more convenient for you as I am assuming that you will have a lot of people travelling from London and the Derry city airport is closer. There is also a beautiful chapel in Drung, which is two miles from redcastle, that is a personal recommendation. Rathmullan house hotel in Rathmullen is another popular location as it is right on the beach and I have heard excellent reviews.

Sorry I cant suggest any other hotels, the hotels mentioned are the cream. It also depends on the size of wedding you will be having, a smaller hotel may be more suitable and just as nice. Donegal has a reputation of having big weddings,

200 plus. On that point, Harveys Point have two rooms, one for large and one for smaller weddings - both of which are lovely.

Good luck.

ireland
7. Re: Wedding venue

Congrats

Donegal Town

Millpark Hotel:

Letterkenny

Silver Tassie: pretty good been to s few weddings here.

Mount Errigal Hotel: also been to weedings here in the new function room but think you have to ask for it !

Raddisson: also good Hotel but more modern

Castlegrove House: would suita small wedding think you might have to call before visiting.

Ballybofey

Jacksons: never been but is popular for weddings

Keys Hotel: never been but is popular for weddings

london
8. Re: Wedding venue

hi there,

thanks all for hotels you have given me info on.. we now have a list of hotels that we are going to visit at chrstmas.

thanks again

ash

northern ireland
9. Re: Wedding venue

Hi

I'm sure you have enough to go on at the minute but just wanted to re-iterate the previous post re mount errigal. I went to wedding there last year and was very impressed. Patient staff, great service and lovely rooms.

Good luck with your preparations and congratulations to you both!

ireland
reviews: 29
10. Re: Wedding venue

totally agree with mount errigal hotel-very nice with lovely staff.

Get answers to your questions about Donegal Town