We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

License Plates

Which Donegal Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
north carolina
License Plates

If I go to Ireland for an extended visit, can I have my car shipped from the US to Ireland and if I did, can I keep and use my north carolina license plates while driving in Ireland---they are personalized plates......

AND if I decide to stay in Ireland, what kind of license plates do you have there....can you get personalized plates?

My current ones in NC are WUZ-HIZ........

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
1. Re: License Plates

1. Yes it is possible to have your car shipped - but it will cost you.

2. You can keep your North Carolina Plates for approximately 12 months before you have to re-register. This page will help you:

www.soyouwanttodrive.com/article.php?id=83

3. If you stay in Ireland, you will need to re register the car.

4. We have no personalised plates. There is a standard registration:

Year of the Car - Location of Registration - Car Registration Number

so - if you were the first person in Donegal to register your car in 2008, your car plates would be as follows:

08 DL 01 The second one would be 08 DL 02 etc.

Each county in the republic has a letter designate and some of the cities do too.

E.g for Limerick City: 07 L 1234

North Tipperary: 07 TN 1234

Limerick County: 07 LK 1234

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
reviews: 37
2. Re: License Plates

I knew some folks who brought a car over from America and then had to get the parts shipped in when it broke down. Advise you check with a maker/dealer to find out if your car is serviced in this country, otherwise it could cost you a lot of money.

Also note that we drive on the opposite side of the road, so there may not be much market for your car if you went to sell it here unless it is a vintage/classic model.

3. Re: License Plates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 31, 2009