We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Letterkenny

Which County Donegal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 135
Day trips from Letterkenny

We have rented a cottage in Letterkenny for a week in August. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for day trips and must see things. We enjoy walks, country drives, nice pubs and historical sites. Any suggestions?

letterkenny, co...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Day trips from Letterkenny

hi - i live in letterkenny and it's a very central base to travel all around donegal and indeed into northern ireland. which week are you here? it's just that a huge irish music festival is taking place here in august.

there are many places to visit in donegal. i would suggest taking a trip around each of the pennisulas (rosguoill, fanad, and innishowen). there is some fabulous scenery. slieve league is another must see - the highest sea cliffs in europe and truly amazing.

we have a website (www.welovedonegal.com) and you can check that out for pics and info. for the site we were today travelling around the fanad peninsula and found something i don't think is listed anywhere. it is a field with stones marking the graves of german soldiers who died during ww2 - it is hidden and full of sheep but definately worth a visit. going to do an article on this on my website when i get full info.

there are many historical sites to visit. just one, grianan an aileach. this is neolitic stone fort and from it you can view five counties of ireland on a clear day.

there are lots of old castles and churches that are worth visiting too. on the site you will see the old greencastle on the innishowen peninsula.

there are many places you can walk for miles and miles without meeting another person and if you like walking you would certainly enjoy these places.

as far as nice pubs - we are awash with pubs! lots of little village pubs are a delight to visit and you can be sure the locals there will tell you interesting places to visit in their area.

hope that is some help. all the best and enjoy your stay in donegal.

ps - can add some northern ireland ones if you are interested.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 135
2. Re: Day trips from Letterkenny

We're there from August 13 - 20.

Florida
3. Re: Day trips from Letterkenny

catherine hi we are looking at Donegal for august for us and i think i have heard about a music festival in Letterkenney at about that time but am having a hard time getting more information can you direct me to a source as we would enjoy something like that .we were in Donegal last June and it was a wonderful holiday it had beenfifty years since my last visit wee hen

Ireland
4. Re: Day trips from Letterkenny

Hi, We have a holiday home near Letterkenny and I would recommend the following list strongly:

1) Do the Fanad Drive leaving from Letterkenny go through Rathmelton and Rathmullen and on to Fanad. Beautiful Scenery. Stop at the cellar bar for coffee in Rathmullen House and walk the Beach. Another Beach you will see is Magherawarden you cant miss it as you drive. Good food at Rathmullen House or at Portsalon. Stop at Portsalon at Sarahs Bar for a guinness. Continue back via Mulroy Bay and back via Milford to Letterkenny - full day out. Great food at the Milford Inn.

2) Go to Glenveagh National Park, Gardens and Castle Tour - well worth a visit (via Kilmacrenan)

3) Another drive is via carrigart to Dunfanaghy, Rosapenna and Horn Head area - great scenary.

4) You can also travel to Rathmullen again and take the Ferry to the Inishowen Penninsula and drive all around Inishowen. Again a great drive and beautiful scenary. See Fort Dunree, Malin Town and lots more. You dont have to take the Ferry but its a great trip - only runs in the summer

5) Take a day trip to Derry and see the city.

6) A Little bit futher into Northern Ireland and you can visit the Giants Causway - its a bit futher but it can be done in a day

7) Take a trip south to Donegal Town and book in to Harveys Point famous Sunday Carvery. - all you can eat buffet but you must book - its just outside the town on the Letterkenny side of Donegal Town with beatiful walks in a great setting

Ireland
5. Re: Day trips from Letterkenny

Hi, We have a holiday home near Letterkenny and I would recommend the following list strongly:

1) Do the Fanad Drive leaving from Letterkenny go through Rathmelton and Rathmullen and on to Fanad. Beautiful Scenery. Stop at the cellar bar for coffee in Rathmullen House and walk the Beach. Another Beach you will see is Magherawarden you cant miss it as you drive. Good food at Rathmullen House or at Portsalon. Stop at Portsalon at Sarahs Bar for a guinness. Continue back via Mulroy Bay and back via Milford to Letterkenny - full day out. Great food at the Milford Inn.

2) Go to Glenveagh National Park, Gardens and Castle Tour - well worth a visit (via Kilmacrenan)

3) Another drive is via carrigart to Dunfanaghy, Rosapenna and Horn Head area - great scenary.

4) You can also travel to Rathmullen again and take the Ferry to the Inishowen Penninsula and drive all around Inishowen. Again a great drive and beautiful scenary. See Fort Dunree, Malin Town and lots more. You dont have to take the Ferry but its a great trip - only runs in the summer

5) Take a day trip to Derry and see the city.

6) A Little bit futher into Northern Ireland and you can visit the Giants Causway - its a bit futher but it can be done in a day

7) Take a trip south to Donegal Town and book in to Harveys Point famous Sunday Carvery. - all you can eat buffet but you must book - its just outside the town on the Letterkenny side of Donegal Town with beatiful walks in a great setting

Paris
reviews: 3
6. Re: Day trips from Letterkenny

Agree with sarahsos and add: see what's on at the An Grianan Theater in Letterkenny; visit the actual an grianan site (original site dating to 2000 BC) on the N 13 road to Derry; if you go to Giant's Causeway be sure to see Carrick a Rede (a little further down the road to the east; great views of Scotland and a nice hike) and, of course, Bushmill's for a quick lift on your way back to Letterkenny (skip the tour).

letterkenny, co...
reviews: 5
7. Re: Day trips from Letterkenny

sassysmom: the fleadh will be held from 22-28 august. the town and surrounds will be PACKED to the gills - thousands of musicians and visitors expected. you can email: info@fleadh2005.com or telephone: 00353-7491-25133 (office hours 9-5 weekdays). if you would like to be here at that time you would need to get moving on booking accommodation extremely quickly. i was speaking to a lady in letterkenny who runs a b&b yesterday and she is fully booked already.

when you say it was 50 years since your visit last year - did you live here then or was it a holiday too? i'd love to hear your observations on the differences - i know probably too many to mention. might make an interesting article for my website (www.welovedonegal.com). if you are interested in sharing please email me: catherinemcglynn@eircom.net

thanks.

Charlotte, NC
8. Re: Day trips from Letterkenny

Cathrene Mcglynn,We have taken your suggestion and will be staying in Letterkinny as a base for touring Donegal 4,5, &6 April. Where can I get a map of the town? Might be better if I had an Iidea where I was going.

Charlotte, NC
9. Re: Day trips from Letterkenny

Catherine, We have taken your suggestion and will be staying in Letterkinny as a base for touring Donegal 4,5,&6 April. Where can I get a map of Letterkinny.? It would be better if I kinda knew my way around.

Earth
10. Re: Day trips from Letterkenny

Here are maps of Letterkenny:

www.destinationletterkenny.com/lktownmap.htm

http://www.letterkennyguide.com/mainmap1.asp