We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

packing

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fuquay Varina...
reviews: 2
packing

My husband and I will be traveling to Cork the first week of August. What is the weather like and what should I pack for clothes? Coming from North Carolina I know it won't be as warm there as we are here. I just want to be prepared so I don't freeze my buns off! Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

wilmington de
reviews: 5
1. Re: packing

From my experience, the most important thing to pack is an umbrella. Other than that, a sweater or light hooded jacket may come in handy. The weather can be very changeable but should not be "freezing your buns off". Also, if you are going to be staying at several different places, remember- if you pack it you have to carry it in and out of all those places. Pack as lightly as possible.

Hobart, Australia
reviews: 33
2. Re: packing

As it happens, the temperature hit 27 degrees C (80 Fahrenheit) here in Cork today, and it's shaping up to be a hot summer by local standards. You're far more likely to get wet than cold, so the previous poster gives good advice.

Slainte

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 241
3. Re: packing

Our heatwave ended last week. Today Friday 22nd july it is dull and a little chilly with rain threatening for the weekend. It is 18c or 64f today approx.

Be prepared for rain with a rain parka and a light hat also. If you plan to spend any time walking, you will need something warm just in case such as a sweat shirt. But don't worry too much, there are plenty of 'value' shops selling everything you need at reasonable prices. In cork and its surrounding towns you will find a Dunnes Stores or Penneys who sell clothes for male/female.

Outside temps at night time can be quite chilly, but nothing that a snuggle and a hot irish whisky won't cure !!!!!

San Jose, USA
reviews: 1
4. Re: packing

Every year we go back, my wife and i have the same argument. She brings her entire wardrobe because of the changing climate from day to day (hour to hour!). The trick is to cover as many possibilities without commiting to one particular scenario. For example here is what i took in June:

2 pairs shorts

2 pairs jeans

2 pairs of khaki pants

6 t-shirts

2 button down shirts

2 sweaters (for wearing over t-shirts)

1 rain coat (the kind that is pretty lightweight and packs into itself is best)

socks/underwear

1 pair of sneakers

1 pair of flipflops

1 pair of dress shoes

For you, coming from NC, it won't feel as humid and will make you think its cold. The sweaters will counter act that! plus the night time chills.

But then I also highly suggest cuddling a nice bottle of whiskey too... that works well too.. :)

N.Y via Clare
5. Re: packing

Bravo karlotronic. Overpacking is an ages old problem. Versatility is key. Sweaters(jumpers) are good, but are often too hot. That results in guys hanging them over their shoulders and tying them in front on their chest. That makes them stick out as tourists. A light rain resistant/proof jacket can be opened and closed. A neutral color prevents packing two of these. Keep a sweater in the car so if you need it late night, it's there. An umbrella could be added to your list, and underwear omitted. Lol. Kidding. Cheers.

N.Y via Clare
6. Re: packing

Also pack a voltage convertor (110V to 220V) if you're bringing corded items. Whiskey will be provided. Mind the poteen though. Cheers.

Fuquay Varina...
reviews: 2
7. Re: packing

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm a week away and I think I've got the bases covered. Umbrella being number one on the list of course! A couple pair of pants and a pair of shorts just in case. I'm trying to keep it light. I'm getting very excited and can't wait! Thank again!!

8. Re: packing

1sttime -- I'm in Raleigh, NC and we have just recently decided to change our travel plans from London to Ireland -- our first time as well. I am bringing along 4 teen girls and am not sure what to tell them to pack (or for myself either). We are in Dublin two nights then join an "adventure" tour for 5 days.

Compared to the heat advisories we've had this week (over 110 degrees), I think IReland will feel like November to us!

--tchspd

N.Y via Clare
9. Re: packing

tchspd- 4 teen gals' luggage- I hope you've been working out! It could be rarely 50's, usually 60's, sometimes 70's and rarely 80's during the day in Summer. A light jacket, or sweaters for the girls will probably be needed at night. Also, they're Summer begins and ends a bit earlier than ours. Cheers.

UK
reviews: 33
10. Re: packing

Oh I wish my packing was that strightforward, I have an ever growing mound of sunblock, sunhats and shades - you never know, we do get lucky sometimes, I have gotten more than one dose of Irish sunburn!- wellies, raincoats, golf clubs, fishing rods, games, raquets & balls, roller skates, kids bike!! and that's before I start packing Tshirts and sweatshirts and jeans, my poor car is groaning already!!!

Clothes wise I probably pack the same type of things for a summer trip to Ireland that I pack for a fall trip to US