We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Gables

Which Blarney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
midwest
The Gables

My family's and my review of The Gables, a renovated rectory, would

not be as glowing as that of the other forum respondent. While extremely knowledgable, Michael wants you to know it, and will go on and on and on (while his seemingly long-suffering wife stands by). While the grounds are lovely, we visited the home in March, when it was quite chilly in Ireland, so the outdoor experience was lost on us. Most distressing, however, was the Lynches' reluctance to turn up the heat. We huddled in our bedroom---in coats---until it was time for bed (the Lynches were in their quarters before a roaring fire). Sleep, though, was slow coming because Michael had told us they would turn on electric blankets but we were to turn them off when we retired because it was a 200 year old building and "Well, the wiring." I was worried about a fire, although with an indoor temperature the next morning of 46, I doubt one could have started! Also, the famous Irish breakfast of several meats was not offered. We were given a choice of oatmeal, yogurt with fruit, or scrambled eggs. Between admonitions to our children about how to use the shower, how to flush the toilet, how long to stay in the shower, the lack of heat, the comparatively meager breakfast, and yet the still substantial 35 euro per person CASH (even though my credit card number was required to hold the reservation), this ended up being our least favorite B&B. The only thing to recommend it is the tale you can tell when you get home.

If you're looking for the best B&B experience, make sure to visit the Ard ri House in Cashel.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 241
1. Re: The Gables

Midwest, we've all met our 'Michael' haven't we?

We had an almost similar experience at Cala 'n Uisce B&B last year but thankfully the long suffering wife saved the day and was most pleasant. Still wouldn't really recommend the place though.

Next time go to Kilcrohane and experience what real Irish hospitality is like in Bridgeview House B&B. A minimilist property with a maximum hospitality and generosity to match. They had no problems with kids either and have a fabulously quirky family room on two levels - loved it.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 41
2. Re: The Gables

mjmidwest somewhere in the west, this was your very first post which was negative. You should have posted this as a review. And then you go to recommend another B&B, again as again as your first post... hmmmmmm, xxxxxxx in Cashel mmmhmmmm

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 241
3. Re: The Gables

Clauds, stop it, you're scaring me, all those mmmmmmmms'

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 41
4. Re: The Gables

Bryno, there were three fairy godmothers at my christening. The first gave me beauty, the second gave me wisdom and the third gave me patience...

5. Re: The Gables

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, August 25, 2009