We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for West/Southwest part of the country?

Which County Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Suggestions for West/Southwest part of the country?

It has been my mother and I's dream to go to Ireland forever, and we are trying to make this possible for next summer so I am currently working on a budget and plan. We have a lot of ideas of where we want to go but I want to have some opinions and suggestions on getting our vague ideas into a concrete plan. We plan on flying in and out of Shannon and renting a car. We have 8 nights to spend there, and we want to concentrate the trip in the west and southwest. Here are some places I KNOW we want to hit:

-Kenmare/RoK

-Dingle/Slea Head

-The Burren

-Cliffs of Moher

-Galway

-Connemara

Some places we also would like to go are Westport and the Cork area (perhaps Kinsale, Cobh, and maybe even a trip up to Cashel). I was thinking we may have to pick one or the other as far as Westport /Cork go because of time constraints and I was wondering which one y'all would suggest? Also, if we chose Cork, what city should we use as a base? Is Cork city itslef worht staying at or should we choose a smaller town? Or can all this be done from a base in Kenmare as well?

Right now my tentaive plan is:

2 night Cork (or somewhere around there)

2 nights Kenmare

1 night Dingle

2 nights Galway

1 night Westport

Is the one night in Westport even worth it? Should we nix the Cork part of the trip and focus more on Mayo at the end? Are these good base towns to stay in? I am trying to consolidate but at the same time keep us travelling around and seeing everything?

All suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank y'all so much!

2 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 241
1. Re: Suggestions for West/Southwest part of the country?

What you want to do is doable, but the Galway / Westport portion of the trip will be busy. One day in Westport is not enough, but if that is all you have then that is what you must work with.

When in Cork, you could spend one night in the city, allowing you to visit some of Cobh, Kinsale, Midleton, Blarney etc. Another night could be spent somewhere on the Beara Peninsula, for example Castletownbere, which will allow you explore Beara while on route to Kenmare.

If you don't want to stay in Cork City you could stay in Kinsale instead which is 16 miles south of the city and is the 'gateway' to West Cork and County Kerry.

2 night Cork (or somewhere around there)

2 nights Kenmare

1 night Dingle

2 nights Galway

1 night Westport

Depending on your return flight time, you may have to spend your last night nearer Shannon airport, such as at the Airport complex itself or in nearby Bunratty.

I wonder if Westport is pushing it a little? You might prefer to spend your time around Connemara, rather than a whistlestop tour of Westport area. Some things to think about there but you are going in the right direction

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville
reviews: 124
2. Re: Suggestions for West/Southwest part of the country?

Bryno, is right about pushing it, just a suggestion, reconsider Westport. I could spend a week itself in Connemara. Hope this helps.

Reply to: Suggestions for West/Southwest part of the country?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted