We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What village for a family holiday during the summer ?

Which County Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mullingar, Ireland
reviews: 14
What village for a family holiday during the summer ?

Thinking of heading to West Cork this year but not sure of where to head for. Last year we got a lovely house in Dunmore East in Waterford. We are looking for something similar i.e. coastal, scenic, beach nearby, maybe golf or pitch / putt, playground, restaurants etc. I can investigate the accommodation options once I can narrow down the location. We have done Clonakilty, Roscarberry and Bantry before at one stage or another so they are out. Schull seems to be ticking all the boxes but what about Durris, Ballydehob, Baltimore or Timoleague or anywhere else ?

3 replies to this topic
County Cork, Ireland
reviews: 20
1. Re: What village for a family holiday during the summer ?

Hi. I would choose Schull or Baltimore personally. Schull has a great vibe in the summer with a number of pubs and restaurants to choose from. It's about 15 min to the nearest sandy beach (Ballirisode) and another 10 to 15 min to get to the fabulous Barleycove! Schull is right on the water with amazing views.

Baltimore is also right on the water. I'm not sure how close the nearest beach is though don't think it's too far.

I would personally skip Durrus. There's a few pubs that serve food and 2 high end restaurants. It is literally a block long. Can't comment on Timoleage.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
reviews: 44
2. Re: What village for a family holiday during the summer ?

If you're prepared to go as far east as Timoleague, Courtmacsherry is probably a better option for a family holiday.

I agree with the previous poster that Schull and Baltimore are the best options.

The easiest sandy beach from Baltimore is Silver Strand on Sherkin Island. You'll have to get the ferry over and walk to the beach, but I'd say your kids would love Sherkin anyway. It's a great place for kids to run around with minimal traffic.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 35
3. Re: What village for a family holiday during the summer ?

Courtmacsherry is quite like Dunmore East (we used to spend our holidays in Dunmore when I was growing up and my Mum still goes down there). I've also stayed in Courtmac.

Anchor Bay Cottages are in a lovely location and well run but I am sure there are other cottages that others can recommend

http://www.irelandholidayhomes.com/

Reply to: What village for a family holiday during the summer ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted