We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best trad music pubs in western Ireland

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aurora, IL, USA
reviews: 124
Best trad music pubs in western Ireland

We are traveling to Ireland in Spring 2013. From Cork to Kerry to Clare to Galway to Mayo and Donegal -- what are some of the pubs we should look for for some of the best traditional music?

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 33
21. Re: Best trad music pubs in western Ireland

You have not indicated what you Call Trad. There is a wide derision for want of a better word between what I call trad and what your typical tour bus tourist thinks it as?

Aurora, IL, USA
22. Re: Best trad music pubs in western Ireland

My trad interest is acoustic sounding with traditional Irish instruments (plus guitar, maybe banjo) in the style of Chieftains, Bothy Band, Silly Wizard, Cherish the Ladies, Tannahill Weavers, Battlefield Band, Planxty, Stockton's Wing, Sharon Shannon, Tommy Makem, Damien Dempsey, Waterboys, Pogues, Andy M. Stewart, Dougie MacLean, Shaun Davey, Andy Irvine, Relativity. Hope that helps! Also, enjoy Van Morrison, Cranberries and similar.

Edited: 11:50 am, January 10, 2013
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
reviews: 95
23. Re: Best trad music pubs in western Ireland

Quite a broad sweep there, Mike, but I see where you are coming from.. I too have great time for those, like the Chieftains, Sharon Shannon, Stockton's Wing and indeed Shaun Davey, who have progressed and enhanced traditional Irish music (which some snobbish musical purists consider heresy).

If you get to Dingle you'll find all the variations along the traditional spectrum. Check out The Courthouse Bar and John Benny's (both pubs are owned by musicians)

Eoin Duignan is a locally based piper and whistle player who organises great folk concerts three times a week in the local church

http://www.duigo.com/touring.htm

Shaun Davey and his wife Rita Connolly sometimes come together with local native musicians as Béal Tuinne.

Here's a clip and some further information

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqt-UIMSLgU

Aurora, IL, USA
24. Re: Best trad music pubs in western Ireland

Thanks for all the great suggestions on Dingle. We will be headed their soon, looking for all the music we can find!

25. Re: Best trad music pubs in western Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 04, 2014