We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb break with kids

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
reviews: 25
Feb break with kids

Howdy,

We're considering an early Feb three night break with our two girls, aged 8 and 6.

Looking for a nice hotel, must have a pool in case the weather is bad, in a location where we could take day trip around to see the sights on the off chance that its not!

Budget around E450 for a family room.All areas considered.If anyone knows the Ballygarry House Hotel near Tralee, then something similar as we really enjoyed it there.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 207
1. Re: Feb break with kids

Cork is a great place for a 3 day break with children, especially those in your age group.

Dotted in and around the city are a number of hotels (with leisure centre + pool) where you could base yourselves for trips to:

Fota Wildlife Park www.fotawildlife.ie

The Harbour town of Cobh with the Titanic Experience, the Queenstown Story, and Spike Island, or just stroll around (and up!) this historic town and take a few photos from the vantage point of St Colmans Cathedral on the hill, where views of the harbour below are quite unique.

Blarney Castle http://www.blarneycastle.ie/ where they will be fascinated by the castle itself but also the spacious surrounding gardens with it's Rock Close perfect for kids, and the nearby 'Poison Garden' is a must see !!

Cork on Ice will still be running in February, and this is suitable for children and adults of all ages. If mum wants some ‘alone time’ at this point, the fantastic Mahon Point Shopping centre is only 3 minutes walk away, it’s one of the countrys largest and perhaps later you could all meet up for a cinema treat at the Mahon Point Omniplex with it’s 13 screens has something for all age groups.

The Blackrock Castle Observatory is a nice visit for kids has a lovely cafe restaurant attached and if you feel like a breath of fresh air afterwards you can take a harbour side walk on the nearby restored railway line or bring them to feed the ducks and swans at the nearby ‘Atlantic Pond’

Cork city Gaol is also great for kids, although maybe a bit advanced for 6 year old, but maybe not. Near Cork city Gaol is the lovely fitzgeralds park, great playground for kids there, and a nice compact museum – perfect for kids and free entry. The museum has a very nice riverside cafe to keep mum and dad caffeined up!

So, to accommodation.

I am not familiar with Ballygarry House near Tralee, so I cannot compare any of the accommodations in Cork to it.

There are a number of Cork city centre hotels which have pools but I am not going to suggest them in this case. Firstly you may not want a city centre accommodation and secondly, parking will be an added cost. However, I will name those hotels at the end of this post just in case you do want to consider them.

Your budget of €150 per night for a family room seems reasonable although I am not sure if it will include breakfast or not.

Silversprings Moran hotel, about 2 miles from Cork City centre, loads of free parking and a good leisure centre with pool, however be aware that the leisure centre is seperate from the hotel, about a 5 minute walk up hill !!!

Rochestown Park hotel, about 3 miles from Cork city centre, loads of free parking and a very nice leisure centre and pool. There is a nice trip to Fota from here by using the cross river ferry (5mins) which the kids would enjoy

Maryborough House Hotel, same as above, but may be above your budget. A beautiful hotel though, and worth considering.

Carrigaline Court Hotel. About 7 miles from Cork city centre, loads of free parking + leisure centre and pool.

Midleton Park hotel. Midleton is about 8 miles from Cork city centre. It's a buzzy little town with lots of atmosphere. The hotel has lots of free parking and a leisure centre.

Radisson Blu Hotel, East Gate. About 6 miles from Cork city Centre, loads free parking, and a very nice leisure centre with pool.

The Montenotte, About 1 mile from Cork City Centre, free parking, Leisure Centre and Pool. This hotel also has apartments which might suit you better.

If I have forgotten any, apologies.

All of the above are easy to access from any approach roads to Cork and are in good locations for any of the sights that I mentioned.

City centre hotels with leisure centre and pool:

Clarion, pay parking underground. May be above your budget

River Lee Hotel, pay parking underground, May be above your budget

Gresham Metropole, Pay parking behind the hotel.

Maldron Hotel, pay parking underground, Leisure Centre and pool.

If you do decide to bring your family to Cork in February, you will not be short of things to do with the children. If you do choose any of the above hotels make sure you ask about them on TA first. Some of them are a lot better than others !!!

Dublin
2. Re: Feb break with kids

Bryno, thank you so much for all that info.I was actually thinking of Cork as I haven't been to the city in years.

Plenty for me to get my teeth into, I may come back with more specific questions but seems plenty there for the kids too, especially the ice skating, they love that!

Thanks again.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
3. Re: Feb break with kids

Yes, do come back any time with specific questions.

One apology - Cork on Ice will finish end January, not feb. However that might change - depending on circumstances. I'll keep an eye on it.

As an alternative there are two very good kiddies indoor play areas (I'm sure you know the type of thing) one is called Monkey Maze in Glanmire and the other is called Chuckies Play Zone in Wilton. They are both very well run and very popular with your kids age groups. Something to be aware of if you do book cork and the weather is not so good.

Dublin
4. Re: Feb break with kids

Yes I checked the ice skating dates.We may bring our trip forward a bit.Silver Springs offering good rates too.

Thanks again!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
5. Re: Feb break with kids

Silversprings is good. It's on the road to Fota/Cobh/Midleton, and on the road towards cork city. Blarney is easily accessible from there too. The immediate surrounding area is not very scenic - but that shouldn't be a problem if you intend doing day trips. Reminder that the leisure centre is a 5 minute uphill walk from the hotel. If you look at it on google earth you will see what I mean.

6. Re: Feb break with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, December 16, 2013