We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Ireland in June 2013

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Visting Ireland in June 2013

Hi I am getting very excited as I will be visiting Ireland in June 2013. I have only been to Ireland once for a week in 2000. I will be travelling with my parents and the reason for the trip is to attend a family gathering.

Our travel plans are to fly into London on 25 May to catch up with some relatives then fly into Dublin on 1 June we will probably be spending 2-3 days in Dublin we will be hiring a car and we then have until 9 June to get to Sneem for the gathering. I am thinking we head from Dublin to Newgrange then onto the Giants Causeway, is this to much for one day? I would then like to work our way down the West Coast to Sneem.

We will be in Sneem at least until 16 June when the gathering ends we will then head back up to Dublin, we will depart from Dublin to return home on 23 June.

Are we better off planning all our over night stops and booking before we go or will there be enough accommodation around at that time of year for us to find something when we need it?

Also we will need a hire car for about 22 days so am looking for the best hire companies. I will be looking at organising the hiring of the car myself as well as getting a local travel agent to quote.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 70
1. Re: Visting Ireland in June 2013

I am thinking we head from Dublin to Newgrange then onto the Giants Causeway, is this to much for one day?

Yes I think it is. Have you been to Belfast before? It is worth exploring.

A little depends on whether you visit Newgrange and Knowth or just do one, what about nearby Monasterboice, Mellifont Abbey?

If you must, you could certainly cover Newgrange in the morning and then spend the afternoon driving to the Causeway but it is a long drive if you go the scenic route and there is a lot to see on the Causeway Coastal Route so I would try and allow a day for this area. That might mean you reach the Causeway area that night, but take the next day to say cover it and get to Derry.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
reviews: 37
2. Re: Visting Ireland in June 2013

As above, I would recommend you take it in easy stages and give yourselves around three days to reach Giants Causeway leaving yourself time to explore the wonderful coastline at places like Carlingford and Strangford lough, also taking account of the changing weather conditions.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
3. Re: Visting Ireland in June 2013

I would do Newgrange in the morning and then go to Belfast. This is a fascinating city! You could do a HO/HO sightseeing bus tour in the afternoon to see the highlights of the city (2 hours) and make a stop at the Crown Bar. If time permits, a stroll through the Botanical Gardens would also be nice. The next day, take a leisurely drive along the Antrim Coast to the Giant's Causeway. Be sure to include stops at Carrick-a-Rede Bridge and Dunluce Castle.

Early June is not yet the height of the tourist season, so you should be able to find accommodations as you go. However, since you will either need a family room or two rooms, you may not have much choice or it may take you longer to find someplace to stay. If you are choosy about your accommodations (or if, like me, you don't like to wait to the last minute to find a place to stay), then make reservations before you go. I think the "conventional wisdom" here for people who want to book-as-they-go is to, at least, book your first and last nights in advance.

Mount Annan...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Visting Ireland in June 2013

Hi I am also travelling to Ireland in late June/July 2013 and this will be my fourth trip there from Australia - I was only there in September 2012 - just can't seem to get enough of the place and its lovely people. Just a word of advice you will have to book your Newgrange tour in advance as they only take 15 people on the tour at a time and at limited times. We got there on our last day in ireland only to discover this and were greatly disappointed that we missed out. Enjoy your trip and gathering - I am sure you will!!

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 30
5. Re: Visting Ireland in June 2013

Consider reversing the trip a little and putting the northern arc to the Affter Sneem section. 9 days Dublin - Sneem via The North, Donegal, and down the west coast means missing a lump of the better parts of the island better to do it after the gathering, assuming you will have more days on this section?

6. Re: Visting Ireland in June 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 09, 2014