We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to budget for a day?

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
How much to budget for a day?

How much is a typical lunch/dinner in Ireland? We do like to have a couple of pints or wine with dinner so that must be figured in. Besides gas, what hidden expenses might we be surprised by? Our accomodation and car (not gas yet) are already paid for. Any advice on this would be most helpful.

new york
reviews: 14
1. Re: How much to budget for a day?

I budget $100 to $150 a day. Some days I do not come close to spending it.. Depends on what you want to do and see. Consider what you spend on dinners and a night out here on the states and use currency convertor to calculate your budget... We do not know your tastes in wine or food is to be a fair judge in telling you what to budget...

Either way, have a great time... One of my all time favorite meals was roast chicken, cooked to perfection, side of delish potatoes and roasted veggies at a roadside pub just outside of Blarney for less than €10 - few years ago... Still remember it as if it were yesterday...

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 25
2. Re: How much to budget for a day?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k53959… .

Chicago
3. Re: How much to budget for a day?

Thanks! I was planning on $100-150 a day so I hope to stick to that. And, I hope to find unexpected great simple meals along the way like you did. We don't care about fancy restaurants, but we do love good food. My husband is a great cook so we do like to eat healthy yet basic good food. We'll be in Donegal, Clifden, Galway, Inishmore, Adare, Dingle, Killarney and Dublin and Cork (briefly) so any recommendations would be great!

Thanks again.

california
reviews: 50
4. Re: How much to budget for a day?

Don't stress out over the cost of gas. We were in Ireland in May and traveled hundreds of miles and only used one tank of gas in 7 days. (diesel engine) I believe our total fuel cost was $110 US dollars. In regards to food, we also budgeted about $100 a day and rarely went over. We don't drink much alcohol, but the cost of soda was nearly the same and no free refills, so that added a bit to the bill if we each had a couple of (not very large) glasses of soda with a meal.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
reviews: 88
5. Re: How much to budget for a day?

Dining recommendations for Dingle:

Goat Street Cafe and An Canteen both provide excellent food at very reasonable prices, and are my budget restaurants of choice. You can also get good value meals in many of the pubs: Paudie's Bar, Murphy's and John Benny's are three that I would recommend. They are all close to the harbour.

If you want some really tasty take away fish and chips, try Reel Fish. He gets his fish daily from the local fisherman, and once he sells his day's supply he closes up.

If you are in Dingle on a Friday you can get really tasty fast food from the Dingle Farmers Market.

Finally, try Murphy's Ice Cream. Not cheap, but absolutely amazing flavours

On the question of drinks, sodas are very bad value when bought in food establshments (and as has been stated, you don't get free refills). I always order tap water

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
reviews: 67
6. Re: How much to budget for a day?

Fentons in Dingle do a good price for early-bird menus-as do plenty of others.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 35
7. Re: How much to budget for a day?

Just to be aware that we have a fairly low blood/alcohol level in Ireland. So just be careful if you are having alcohol with your meal.

citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreat…

Phoenix, Arizona...
reviews: 7
8. Re: How much to budget for a day?

We spent 6 days in the south and southwest earlier this month. Outside of car rental and hotels, we averaged about $120 per day.

This included gas of $95 which shocked us. I thought we'd spend a lot more (we drove about 500 miles). The diesel helped.

Also included - food and alcohol for "moderate" drinkers :), the Heritage pass and a few day tours.

All in all, we came in under my planned budget. The breakfasts were very filling, so we never had a big lunch. Our dinners were mostly in pubs, 2 in sit-down restaurants.

And a note regarding alcohol and driving - what a scary thought over there! Wouldn't think of driving even after a quarter pint!

9. Re: How much to budget for a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:45 am, June 29, 2013