We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Ireland and Scotland

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
reviews: 12
Tour of Ireland and Scotland

Hello,

I am wanting to do a possible coach tour that is not too expensive that covers parts of Ireland and Scotland. I do not need to stay in lavish hotels. I would like a tour that is from seven days to ten days. I want to see some castles, pubs, but mostly places in Ireland/Scotland where most tourists do not go. Perhaps a backpacking tour or at least a tour that focuses on the beauty of both countries? Also, would it be better to take small tours and fly into certain places instead of going with a coach tour? I plan on leaving in early May. If there is any feedback you can provide, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
reviews: 94
1. Re: Tour of Ireland and Scotland

Perhaps this might suit you

cietours.com/world/…default.aspx

Guernsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Dingle, Guernsey, The Burren
reviews: 138
2. Re: Tour of Ireland and Scotland

If you want a coach tour, then soonas' recommendation of CIE is spot on.

But - if you wish to see places where most tourists do not go, then I think you'll be disappointed by a coach tour as by their very nature, they visit the most popular tourist destinations.

Bear in mind too, that 7-10 days for both Ireland And Scotland will be very much a "whistle-stop" tour: a "taster", no more.

These two companies (for Ireland) might appeal - but may cost a bit more than you wish to pay, as they cater for smaller groups:

http://www.wolfhoundtours.com/

http://www.vagabondtoursofireland.ie/

Natick...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Tour of Ireland and Scotland

I'm booked on CIE's Taste of Scotland & Ireland tour in late April / early May. There are four of us going, ranging from 29 to 67, and we're pretty excited. Each one of us had our own concerns (ie, my mother didn't want to fly to Europe to spend any less than ten days there and I'm fussy about hotel ratings), but this trip seems to be a winner (though my aunt just seemed to realize that a coach tour will prevent her from sleeping in).

After doing a pretty substantial amount of research, we decided CIE was the best company to go with. Most costs are built into the tour - airport transfers, breakfasts, entry to attractions, and most dinners. Several tours we looked at had plenty of optional add-ons. I don't want to go on vacation to deal with up-selling. We're also happy that we'll get to spend two nights in Edinburgh and three in Dublin (with a bit of time to explore each).

I've never done a coach tour, there seem to be some definite pros and cons to traveling this way, but we're excited. Good luck with your planning.

Kansas City...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Tour of Ireland and Scotland

I have looked at CIE and it sounds great, less of a hassle but I am wanting to get more of a local taste of culture and community in Ireland and Scotland. This is why I am thinking of going with Rabbies Tours. They have two seperate tours for Ireland and Scotland, but it is cheaper and I get to stay at smaller inns/cottages. Though, I am still looking around at tours for cheaper prices or off beat experiences. Thank-you all for the feedback so far. I really appreciate it!

Fairfax, Virginia
reviews: 60
5. Re: Tour of Ireland and Scotland

My wife and I are taking a Globus tour of Ireland for 7 days in May. I've been very happy with their tours in Italy, choice and location of hotels, knowledge of guides, breakfast buffets, individual headsets, speed of tour and all around professionalism.

London, Canada
6. Re: Tour of Ireland and Scotland

I went on the Taste of Scotland & Ireland (11 days) with CIE Tours in June 2012 and it was amazing !! Stayed mostly in castles turned into hotels, I would say "a must take tour". Our tour guide Eunan Smyth was perfect. I will look to be booking another tour with this company again. The food at the dinners were delicious. Perfect Scotland/Ireland experience.

7. Re: Tour of Ireland and Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 22, 2013