We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Virginia
Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

We are leaving for your lovely island in just four days and I just did a trip planner on www.aaroadwatch.ie - how wonderful! However, I predicated our drive from Dooliln to Dingle on the assumption that it was just a few hours via the Talbert Ferry. Oh my - was I surprised when I did a roadwatch trip, and it told me the trip would be 6 hours and 38 minutes and that going the long way around Limerick would be almost an hour and a half shorter. Yikes! Is this true? Any advise out there? Thanks so much!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
1. Re: Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

Hi there - can't get the Ferry route on the AA Roadwatch site, but I can get the one via Limerick.

The reason for the difference is the quality of roads. Ennis to Limerick to Adare has very good road surfaces. Depending on when you travel, you may avoid any form of traffic congestion in Limerick.

Could you let me know if its a week-day or a Friday and what time approx you will be travelling and I can let you know whether to expect traffic or not!!

If you do do the Limerick Route, you will get to see Bunratty Castle, and Adare Village (nice for Lunch in the Arts Centre). You may also find the driving a lot more relaxing!!

Take Care.

reviews: 7
2. Re: Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

You also have to factor in the wait for the ferry. If you miss one you wait 1/2 an hour for the next one . We did it last year and the jury's still out on whether it saved time. It's a long drive from Ennis and the road isn't great. Although it's a bit of a boost to arrive in Kerry sooner then you would via Limerick it is a bit of hassle. Bean is right, if your going off peak and can avoid Limerick traffic then it might be good to reconsider going via Limerick. I tried your route on rac.co.uk and it's coming in at 3 hours and 41 mins via Limerick! Even the travel websites can't decide!!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
3. Re: Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

If you take a look at www.viamichelin.com and key in Doolin to Killimer and Tarbert to Dingle you will get a much shorter estimate. Don't key in Doolin to Dingle - the time supposedly takein is about 2 hours altogether!! Unless you are driving one of James Bond's vehicles, its impossible.

However, the roads are much better using the Limerick route.

Take Care.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
4. Re: Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

Hi Gariem - just thought of the TA equivalent of the Cannonball Run: A race from Doolin to Dingle, with the person getting there fastest winning. Peat Powered Cars are allowed, as are skirts and trousers and bright colours. Drivers may do as much shifting as they like!! Only people not allowed participate are the little green men!!

5. Re: Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

Or the Wacky Races . I get to be Penelope Pitstop...!!

6. Re: Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

Be down your neck of the woods later today (hopefully ) Gaillaimh Abu!!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
7. Re: Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

Are you going to the All-Ireland? Traffic is MANIC!!

Arlington, Virginia
8. Re: Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

Wow - thanks for all the good advice! Beanalainn, we plan to leave Doolin (actually LaHinch) on Monday afternoon - and I originally had hoped to make Conor Pass in the daylight. Eeek - was I optimistic or what? What time is it getting dark over there now? Thanks for everyone's help - cjshea

PS - B - we are hoping to check out Bunratty on Saturday morning when we fly into Shannon.....

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
9. Re: Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

Hi there - depending on the weather, it will be dark at about 7.30pm. Difficult to know what it will be like next Monday - we're due to get the end of Ophelia on about Wednesday.

Monday - The secondary schools in Limerick are out at 3.30. Just before the bridge into Limerick there is a feeder road, onto the main road. There are three secondary schools in this area. Watch out for the frazzled Mummies and the school kids in their own personal worlds!!

You will be taking the inside lane (furthest from the river) going over the bridge. It will back up a little but will still move. For the next 10 minutes or so (maybe 20 if things are really bad, but definately no more) you will move slowly. You go over the bridge, take the 3rd exit of the roundabout (i.e turn right), keep on this road (the river should be to your right behind a wall) until you come to a roundabout. It will give signs for Cork and Killarney. By now the traffic should have eased (unless it is coming to 4.30 when it gets bad again!!)

Hope this helps. Take Care.

10. Re: Doolin to Dingle via the Ferry

Hi Bean. Well that was a good result makes up for last Sunday (well no ,but takes the sting out of it). Yes Limerick traffic was mental but Ennis was worse. I 'm not really into the ga but was keping my Dad company and I 'm glad I went ..so Gaillimh Abu!!