We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish residents..consumer protection in Ireland?

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
Irish residents..consumer protection in Ireland?

Hi all,

I am a frequent Ireland visitor and have most dilemas solved but continue to run into trouble with car hire despite extensive research before I leave. I recently returned and had a very bad car hire experience which I believe bordered on fraud! (I'll post an extensive warning when I recover from jetlag) Many of the customers returning the car to this company at the same time had serious issues as well.

Is there any agency or law which protects consumers in Ireland or who regulate these car hire firms? Since I am somewhat alert about car hire I was able to fight some of the additional charges, to the tune of 401 Euro, but other tourists who do not have the same advantage are really cheated and have no recourse.

Any info would be helpful!

Jean

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 41
1. Re: Irish residents..consumer protection in Ireland?

Maybe this is of help: citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-a…

Complaints about car rental in Ireland came up recently in the Irish Times but I'm afraid that particular copy is resting among its fellows in the recycling bin!

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
reviews: 44
2. Re: Irish residents..consumer protection in Ireland?

There are many agencies that can be contacted about such. Below is the complaint form for the Irish National Consumer Agency.

consumerconnect.ie/eng/…

But this thread ends with a comprehensive list from Uasal

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186604-i89-k69097…

Cork, Ireland
reviews: 7
3. Re: Irish residents..consumer protection in Ireland?

Hi Jean,

Unfortunatley this is a common issue on this forum.

I'd be very interested to know what car rental company you rented from and what issues you encountered.

I work for myguideIreland and when we receive compaints over 90% seem to relate to issues with car rentals -at the point of return. Unfortunately at the point of return it is outside the control of campanies like ours but we are actively working with the 3 car rental companies that we sell to reduce these instances.

Consumer protection laws do indeed deal with Car Rentals, and to make sure you do not receive any extra charges my advice to tourists is to always:

**- Ensure, before signing your rental agreement, that you are clear on what insurance you are purchasing. A rental that has already got CDW included can be driven legally without any additional insurance (Standard CDW includes a deductible, make sure you understand this before renting)

**- Ensure that only the people you want to drive the car are listed on the rental agreement (additional drivers cost extra)

**- Ensure any damage on the car before the rental is noted and listed on the rental agreement before you drive away.

**- Bring the car back full of fuel, and also make sure it is noted that it is full to ensure your full fuel deposit is refunded. (aLso ensure the tank is full when you receive the car at the beginning of the rental)

In most cases, when one of our Guests has a genuine grievance we have been able to get a refund for them......but if you agreed(signed) to purchase something like additional insurance it is very difficult to make a case on a Guest's behalf.

We now issue a clear set of guidelines with every car rental that outline the points above and have found that where the above is adhered to the number of complaints is dramatically reduced.

One of the companies we work with has now got almost no complaints and we are directing more and more of our business towards them when there is affordable availability. They have seen the value in delivering quality customer service, hopefully all others will see this soon.

4. Re: Irish residents..consumer protection in Ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, October 02, 2009