We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
87 posts
23 reviews
Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

Hello,

I asked my friend where should I go in the world where I could have beautiful scenery, nice people and a quiet place to write. She recommended Isle of Skye. So now I'm turning to you guys :)

I'd like to come to Isle of Skye for a week in September. Mainly to relax and write so I'll be staying in the same place a lot. I do need internet and some comfort to write but the rest of the time I'll enjoy travelling. Where would be the most beautiful view from the B&B/hotel? And affordable if possible since I am just a student lol

Also, I'm guessing a car would make getting around a lot easier for the days I do want to travel around the island... So a good place to rent a car and also what would be the best way to reach Isle of Skye from London?

Any tips at all, welcome.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

Fly to Inverness and rent a car there. Drive to Skye via the Skye bridge. Can't advise on accommodation without a budget. How much are you prepared to spend? Cheapest would be a hostel but you might want something more upmarket

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
87 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

Up to 100pounds a night. If a place is truly worth more I might make it a shorter trip and go for it. :)

Thank you.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
940 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

Checkout Willowbank Cottage in Portree. It is a two bedroom cottage with full kitchen and wifi. I've stayed there twice in the past two years and it's quite comfortable and within your budget.

wenonah, new...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

We stayed in the Skye Croft during the last week of September last year. Beautiful croft at the end of the road along the water. Seems within your price range as well. No internet access, but there are places in town, just take your laptop, I did see that the end of Sept through the 1st of October is still available. It is a ten minutes drive north of Portree.

The area is so beautiful, it will stun your senses.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
5. Re: Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

You could take the train from Inverness to Kyle; or the other train from Glasgow to Mallaig, then the ferry. There are a few buses from Kyle to Broadford or Portree, the two main areas to stay in; I can't recommend places due to my knowledge not being up to date. You could rent a car at Kyle for just a few days if you want.

Best views? There are a couple of B&Bs in Elgol - which is a bit of a drive from Broadford, but looks over the Cuillins.

Can't say about internet ... you'll have to ask.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Goa, Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
12,262 posts
165 reviews
6. Re: Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

How about http://www.eileaniarmain.co.uk/ I am sure for a weeks stay in September you could get it within your budget here's a photo taken from a bedroom window early on a winters morning flickr.com/photos/…set-72157622895850243

7. Re: Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, March 23, 2013
Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
87 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

Thanks guys. More recommendations for B&Bs welcome :) Most most important thing (except budget of course since I simply can't afford more lol) is the view from the room.

I heard great thing about White Heather Hotel. Anyone stayed there?

Also look like I'll be taking the long way to get there lol going to go to Fort William just to take the Jacobite from there. Not really a Potter fan but the views seem worth it.

london
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

I stayed for a few days last year at Dunmar B+B in Staffin

http://www.dunmarbandb.co.uk/

lovely welcoming people, good internet signal and the comfiest big double bed you can imagine ... nice views from the room westwards over Staffin Bay out towards Isle of Lewis

Edited: 10:39 am, March 29, 2013
Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: Isle of Skye for a solo traveler

From Fort William you can get the Citylink bus that goes up to Kyle, Broadford and up to Portree (so basically anywhere on the main route through Skye).

Many B&Bs provide WiFi these days, hotels do but some charge you for it. How long are you coming for, how much a night can you afford to pay? Are you going to spend it all in one location? September is getting to the end of Tourist season here, many B&Bs will be winding down and close in October, some may do you a good deal for a couple of weeks of accommodation so you may be able to negotiate the price :)

View wise, the Sligachan Hotel has the most superb views of the Cuillins, anywhere up to the North East of the island will give you views of the Quirang and across the water to the island of Raasay, Down Sleat you get views across the water over to the Mainland, there are many different views, it depends on what you like :)

White Heather Hotel in Kyleakin gets very good reviews (and they have Wifi).