We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of mull in 2days

ireland
reviews: 33
Isle of mull in 2days

Hi we are hoping to visit isle of mull in july for 2days. We are comng nto east midlands airport on the 3july, will be driving from there to scotland ,stay overnight near to the port and take the ferry across to mull. Can someone advise the nearest port or is it better to go from oban? Hoping to take the car across and drive around the island dor the first day. The 2nd day will go down to fionnophort and take a ferry across to IOna for a few hours.

We are not nto hiking just to see the views.

Where will be a good base for us pls.

Do we need to book the ferry.

After isle of mull we Will be off to hull and we are in no hurry to get there.

Pls help us form an itinery.

Thanks

Ysh

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 83
1. Re: Isle of mull in 2days

Given 2 days only, Oban makes much more sense than other ferry routes to Mull involving driving through (perfectly nice) more remote hills.

And the place you'd probably enjoy most is Tobermory. There are hotels further south at Craignure and Salen but they're small [laces with much less to do than Tobermory.

Yes book the ferry. If you keep Calmac's number handy they're quite good at shuffling you onto a different boat if you're delayed, but it's best to be assured of a crossing. They board people who book first, then those who turn up on the day.

Edited: 2:36 pm, May 19, 2013
ireland
2. Re: Isle of mull in 2days

Thank you will i stay in tobermory for 2 nights and drive around the island.

Wht ferry do i take to iona and staffa do i take it from fionnophort? Is this the same ferry that will take me to lubna as well? I was reading other threads and they suggest leaving the car in oban and use the day trip. Was looking at one website and it cos abt 60 pounds . If ido that i wonder ow much do i ve topay parking for a few days in oban if i stay n isleof mull for 2 nights.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Ysh

Tobermory, United...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Isle of mull in 2days

The ferry from Fionnophort will take you to Iona (Calmac and others) and / or Staffa (not Calmac). Not sure if you mean Lunga (lubna) for the puffins. As far as I know you have to get to Ulva Ferry for Lunga. Parking in Oban for two days will be cheaper than taking the ferry but then you will be restricted to public transport once on the island unless you hire another car (which would be more expensive than taking your hire car on the ferry) or take a taxi (which again will be expensive). Public transport is restricted to Craignure to Tobermory, Craignure to Fionnphort and Tobermory to Calgary.

Hope this helps

ireland
4. Re: Isle of mull in 2days

Thanks veey much for your reply. I will take the car into isle of mull. Nowi can find accomodation in tobermory. Which is the next best place to stay pls? Dont mind it beng quiet. Can u advise m epls thanks. Tobermory is full 4,5 july.

Regds ysh

Tobermory, United...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Isle of mull in 2days

Have you tried http://www.night-porter.net/mull.asp ?

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
6. Re: Isle of mull in 2days

Not all B&Bs in Tobermory will be listed. The tourist office may well take pity if you contact them. I think it's 0845 859 1006, or 0044 845 859 1006. (I think)

Have you looked at Craignure and Salen?

And if you're heading to Iona then I know there are B&Bs in Fionnphort. And a scattering of other remoter places round the island; with a car, no problem.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
7. Re: Isle of mull in 2days

Salen Hotel, Glenforsa Hotel

Isle of Mull Hotel, Craignure

and probably others I have forgotten about.

And as I mentioned lots of B&Bs. Use Google maps e.g B&B near Craignure, Mull

ireland
8. Re: Isle of mull in 2days

Thanks so much Derek G and Mullmad for your replies, i will check on the hotels and BB you mention. I read in other forum that i can get the 5 day saver ferry ticket which is cheaper to cross to isle of mull insad of paying nearly 100 pounds but when i go on the calmac site the option does not show, does it mean it does not offer during summer months?

Now i am asking a very different question. Between Arran island and isle of mull which is nicer? i am not into hiking only views. Just that to get to ardrossan is nearer than oban from east midlands.

sorry for asking more questions

hope u can help

thanks

ysh

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
9. Re: Isle of mull in 2days

Arran versus Mull. Hmm. Personally I'd say Arran, because I love the place and its mountains, but I know mullmad and lots of others will disagree.

ireland
10. Re: Isle of mull in 2days

Thanks Derek G for your reply. i will look and see which place to go depending on the ferry prices and bb

thanks very much

ysh