We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sounds daft but what to do on Islay for a non whisky lover?

Almeria, Spain
reviews: 9
Sounds daft but what to do on Islay for a non whisky lover?

My Father turns 70 at the end of April this year and the only conceivable place to celebrate this (with both of us being lovers of a wee dram), is, of course, Islay (so I can visit my plot as an FOL and pay hommage to Ardbeg!). It took some time to convince Momma who fails in every way to appreciate the liquid gold, but she agreed to the trip!

I am having a ball planning the tours and tastings but am anxious to include some "non distillery orientated entertainment" for her too! The walking looks amazing and I am trying to plan a trip to and tour of Jura to hopefully photograph some of the wildlife there. Does anyone have any other suggestions though please aside from the ale place? Your time will be much appreciated! Thank you

5 replies to this topic
Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 74
1. Re: Sounds daft but what to do on Islay for a non whisky lover?

The folks in Islay work quite hard to create a community spirit (the non alcoholic type) to attrct visitors.

The obvious one being the Islay Festival, which is in May, not April.

But there's also 'Walk Islay' in April.

http://www.islayinfo.com/islayevents.html

TYNE & WEAR
reviews: 24
2. Re: Sounds daft but what to do on Islay for a non whisky lover?

Hi fellow fol if you are into golf theres the famous machrie golf course the first £100 prize in golf was played for on this course.there's islay sea safari which does as the name implies sea tours of islay and farther afield,islay museum of life situated in port charlotte.jura will be a full day by the time you visit the distillery and drive to top of the island,well as far as the road will take you.have lunch at jura hotel,visit the antlers tea/coffee shop in Craig house.

Islay has some lovely walks some pretty easy some difficult. There are various monuments on islay which are worth a visit .hope you enjoy your visit and fingers crossed the weather is better than it is now.

west coast
reviews: 2
3. Re: Sounds daft but what to do on Islay for a non whisky lover?

Islay has so much to offer for non whisky lovers, you'd be surprised.

Islay a great place for families too!

Have a look at all the activities: http://www.islayinfo.com/activities.html

Read more about tips for families: www.islayinfo.com/family-time-on-islay.html

I hope this helps :-)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
reviews: 38
4. Re: Sounds daft but what to do on Islay for a non whisky lover?

As well as the above ideas, there is also Finlaggan (historic home of the Lords of The Isles). And if you are there on a Wednesday, I recommend the day trip to Colonsay by Calmac ferry.

Nottingham...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Sounds daft but what to do on Islay for a non whisky lover?

There is so much to see and do for non whisky lovers. Portnahaven is well worth a drive as not only is the scenery lovely en route but the seals in the harbour make it very special. We stayed there for a week one September and regularly go back when we are on Islay. At the opposite end of the island is the Kildalton cross and a lovely drive with the chance to have coffee at Ardbeg distillery. My husband is a whisky nut but I prefer the views, walks and friendliness of the people.

Reply to: Sounds daft but what to do on Islay for a non whisky lover?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted