We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking 97 year old grandad to see his dads war grave

Ingatestone, United...
Taking 97 year old grandad to see his dads war grave

Hi

I'd like to take my grandad to see his dads Otranto war grave.

Gramps is a fit guy, goes in to town to play snooker most days still... but I don't want to put him through too much of a journey.

Is anyone aware of any cruises (leaving England) or coach trips (leaving Essex) where it would provide (at least) a day trip to the grave on the Island?

Tamworth
reviews: 17
11. Re: Taking 97 year old grandad to see his dads war grave

I think there is some confusion here. The American monument is on Oa and is quite a hike. There is also the war graves cemetery near Machir Bay on the Rhinns of Islay. We went to the first and it was wonderful, very impressive, but not the second as to get to it you had to walk across a field with a very vocal and agitated bull in it. I wouldn't fancy outrunning a bull at my age, never mind 97. I'm not sure what the farmer is thinking putting the bull in that particular field.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 83
12. Re: Taking 97 year old grandad to see his dads war grave

Bulls tend to be in certain fields temporarily, for the obvious reason. When not on duty, they have to stay somewhere. I'd imagine the farmer has limited choice of location. Highland farms are small; or the arable/grass parts are.

Don't assume the bull will be there continuously. And you have the right to roam, but that doesn't oblige the farmer to make way.

I realise that sounds harsh given you're trying to get to a memorial - but maybe there's an alternative gate, an alternative field? I don't know not living there.

TYNE & WEAR
reviews: 35
13. Re: Taking 97 year old grandad to see his dads war grave

By any chance was it a highland bull if so it was in a field on the left hand side of the rspb reserve when we were there last month fortunately it had female company so no probs

england
reviews: 8
14. Re: Taking 97 year old grandad to see his dads war grave

Follow up on the cruise idea, the GPs would love it, I have been on four around the British Isles and visited many of the islands that way. I havent seen one going to Islay but they change each year.

I have been to Lewis, Skye, Mull, Orkney and Shetland this way. Also the Channel Isles and the Scilly Isles.

On the last cruise we had a waoman who wanted to visit her father's memorial in Storoway, from the ship that was sunk just outside the harbour on the way home. To my shame I cant remember the name of the ship.

Edited: 4:58 am, September 08, 2013
Planet Earth
15. Re: Taking 97 year old grandad to see his dads war grave

A bull in the field at Kilchoman doesn't sound right. I stay in the area for a total of 4 weeks every year and I can't recall ever seeing a bull in the field you have to cross to get to the cemetery. There is however a bull in a field next to it, sometimes also two. This field however is separate from the one you have to cross for the cemetery.

Either there was a rare exception or you didn't realise they were in separate fields.

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, St. Andrews
reviews: 130
16. Re: Taking 97 year old grandad to see his dads war grave

Islayblog - your advice just goes to show what amazing things come up on TA! How much more "spot on" advice can you get - except if the farmer is a TA subscriber!!

W x

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
17. Re: Taking 97 year old grandad to see his dads war grave

What a lot of bull ;-)

18. Re: Taking 97 year old grandad to see his dads war grave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 08, 2014