We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islay to Oban - wednesday's only?

Sheffield, UK
reviews: 22
Islay to Oban - wednesday's only?

Hi all,

We were planning on booking the hopscotch 17 Calmac ticket (Arran-islay-oban) in June. Is it only possible to do the Islay to Oban part on a Wednesday? Now that it's winter, Calmac appear to have removed all summer timetables from its website!

We had initially planned to go to Colonsay on a day trip on Wednesday and back to islay, leaving for Oban on a Thursday. I fear this may not be possible?

Thanks. V

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 38
1. Re: Islay to Oban - wednesday's only?

I think you are going to have to wait until CalMac publish their summer schedule, which whilst being fairly consistent from year to year, is subject to occasional change.

According to their website summer 2013 schedule will be published in January.

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 38
2. Re: Islay to Oban - wednesday's only?

Colonsay is a great place to visit (I believe that in very bad weather the ferry may give it a miss): although it is small, a day isn't enough to do it justice. The Colonsay Hotel is a 3 minute walk up the hill from the ferry, good beer and does a nice lunch.

If you aren't taking a car I suggest trying to arrange for bikes to meet you, as walking anywhere takes some time - you would struggle to get to the magnificent Kiloran Bay and back on foot. If you want to walk across to Oronsay that will depend on the tide.

You should hear some corncrakes as you are going in June, my wife and I got within a few feet of one on the road near Kiloran Bay, a really beautiful bird up close.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
3. Re: Islay to Oban - wednesday's only?

I'd agree with the pleb from Bath ;-).

I think you can get to Colonsay on Wednesday, *because* that's the day the Islay-Oban sailing calls in there!

I did it about 8 years ago, but I vaguely remember it was only possible one day per week.

It's not the place to rush through. There's Jura, and the unique Corrievreckan whirlpool, as well as Islay and Colonsay....

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
reviews: 45
4. Re: Islay to Oban - wednesday's only?

The Kennacraig - Islay - Colonsay - Oban run (returning on the same day) is a fixture in the Calmac summer timetable, and you can be 99% confident it will run next summer.

If you want you could go from Islay to Colonsay on the Wednesday, stay the night, and continue to Oban the next day (Thursday).

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 302
5. Re: Islay to Oban - wednesday's only?

Keep checking the CalMac website: www.calmac.co.uk

reviews: 39
6. Re: Islay to Oban - wednesday's only?

I wouldnt dismiss Islay to Oban via the non direct ferry route. The ferry to Kennacraig is a nice trip, then from Kennacraig its either a lovely drive, or a nice bus to Arrochar and Tarbet, where you get the train, which is beautiful.

7. Re: Islay to Oban - wednesday's only?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 17, 2013