We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Ayr: is this too much for one day?

Which Ayr hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Netherlands
Day trip from Ayr: is this too much for one day?

Busy planning our September holiday now! We're staying 2 nights in Ayr, and I was wondering if this daytrip from Ayr (with a car, on Saturday) is too much for one day:

*We like to depart at 9ish in the morning, depends on how early we get our breakfast served :)

*Drive through the Galloway Forest Park to the Bruce's stone (we like to avoid the A roads on the way to this one, any route suggestions?). Do a short (one hour) walk at Loch Trool.

*Continue to Newton Stuart.

*Take the A75 to Glenluce Abbey.

*Via the A77 to Girvan

*Visit Culzean Bay, maybe not for a visit to the castle itself as time is too short?

*Back to Ayr before dark sets in

(probably with lots of stops to enjoy the scenery and villages along the route, and have some food)

Are there any sights on this route which I didn't mentioned and are really worth a visit? And is this route doable in one day? How long will it takes us to get from one point to the other?? Maybe you suggest another route, other places to see, other things to do, all advice is welcome!

I'm planning to visit Alloway and do a little tour of the town of Ayr, and maybe even Purple Celtic's walk, on the first afternoon/night we're in Ayr :)

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
21. Re: Day trip from Ayr: is this too much for one day?

What a great trip report - I'd post it separately.

I like the authentic observations - like people ordering 6 pints of beer each!

Even though I'm from Ayrshire, I haven't seen many of the places you just have. I must go to Bute again!

Thanks!

22. Re: Day trip from Ayr: is this too much for one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, August 21, 2009