We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ivy rooms

Which Ayr hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
reviews: 4
Ivy rooms

Hi All,

We had our annual staff Christmas meal here on Friday 10th December. As there were 11 of us (aged between 16 and 65) we decided to have a quiet meal in the restaurant and not in the function suite.

I have to say that from the moment we entered till the time we left , the service was first class.

Our coats were taken on arrival and drinks were served promply.

We all had different things to eat and every one of us cleaned our plates. The food (served on hot plates!) was delicious.

The waiter (think his name may have been Michael) was excellent and even came through with a couple of free dishes between courses as he said our main meals could be a wee bit delayed as they were trying to get out the meals through the function room first.

He also arranged a wee cake and candle (and a real life Santa with no teeth!) for one of our girls who was celebrating her birthday.

For your info, I had Parsnip soup, peppered beef (nice and spicy) and a creme brulee.

They then even arranged a table for us if we wished to go through to the party night.

All in all, first class.

Well done to the new owners.

We will be back soon.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
1. Re: Ivy rooms

NIce but you should post a restaurant review where more people will see this.

Ayr
reviews: 185
2. Re: Ivy rooms

where?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 247
3. Re: Ivy rooms

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186574-d1312…

Can't believe I've never been in that hotel in all the time I've been visiting Ayr. It certainly looks good from the outside.

scotland
reviews: 41
4. Re: Ivy rooms

I was there a few weeks ago, it was excellent. Also, nice side portion of homemade chips in a mini fryer! Food was great.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
5. Re: Ivy rooms

My pet hate when eating out is to have to faff about serving chips or vegetables from a shared bowl or in this case a cute mini fryer. Why can't they just give people their own portions and have done with it. Did someone say this is the most miserable week of the year? Bah!

scotland
6. Re: Ivy rooms

Bah humbug PC!Been back a few times, food been brilliant - although its now frozen chips...bring back the good old homemade ones!

Prestwick, United...
reviews: 73
7. Re: Ivy rooms

This hotel is owned by the guy who owns the Tudor Restaurant just round the corner. I have not tried it out yet but I am invited to a function there in February.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
8. Re: Ivy rooms

I have to confess that while the food at the Ivy Rooms was decent enough I am not a happy bunny with them at all, but then my tone in the last post probably betrayed that, lol. It's something to do with eating a hearty main course and having no room for dessert, but still being charged for it, because it's their policy - two courses or three courses, but no one course unless you fork out for two.Pity they don't tell that before you sit down for something to eat and then leave you guessing til the bill comes.

Edited: 12:52 pm, January 29, 2011
scotland
9. Re: Ivy rooms

I cant fault them at all just now, my fav place to go at the moment, lunch menu amazing value - if me you are a greedy beggar!PC you took a dislke to them when I mentioned mini fryers of chips!haha

ive been there about 4 or 5 times in the past month & the food has been amazing - mixed fish, pigeon starter, steak, cajun chicken main, pineapple/pomegranate/mint starter...loved everything ive had there. No complaints yet, which is unusal for me!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
10. Re: Ivy rooms

Haha, actually the chips were quite nice. What kind of restaurant only offers two or three courses at lunchtime though? Strange business model for a town centre eaterie not to offer a choice of lighter options at lunchtime. A compulsory two course minimum is even more odd. I don't know anywhere else in Ayrshire that is that inflexible.