We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midges Really Bad?

Which Isle of Arran hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Everett, WA
Midges Really Bad?

We are planning a 3-week holiday in the Islaes from late June - mid July. Are the midges really all that horrible?? What are best ways to avoid/cope??

Thanaks, Teamneptune

Ballater, United...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Midges Really Bad?

Midges are nasty and not to be underestimated. I found an amusing website to tell you more about them http://www.albawest.com/midges.html There are good tips for coping with the midge, but the best one is to avoid the females, because they are the ones which bite!

You can also take Brewers yeast tablets for a month or so before you arrive. Then you won't taste so good! I think vitamin B tablets might do the trick as well.

You can buy insect repellent from all good chemists/drug stores over here. Jungle formula works pretty well, but what suits one person may not suit another. Avon Skin So Soft spray on moisturiser works well too.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 242
2. Re: Midges Really Bad?

Meg's advice is spot on. Also worth bearing in mind is that midges can't fly when there's a bit of a breeze, so if you are right by the coast it may not be so bad, especially if the weather has been particularly dry. Last year we had very dry weather for scotland and the midges had a tough time - good for us though!

Central scotland
reviews: 1
3. Re: Midges Really Bad?

Spot on. I've found the Avon skin so soft works pretty well.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
4. Re: Midges Really Bad?

I was on a guided walk in Brodick Castle grounds last Thursday night, and the party of 10 soon became dinner for the midges. The Ranger pulled out deet and Avon SSS, and recommended the latter.

Another small creature to look out for is the tick. I have just removed 3 from my leg! Not pleasant, but Arran IS WORTH IT !

Stanley, Falkland...
5. Re: Midges Really Bad?

If you get bitten, use anti-histamine cream or calamine lotion, or one of those electric clicking devices to stop the itching and scratching.

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 5
6. Re: Midges Really Bad?

I was thinking long and hard last night how to put a positive spin on the midge issue but I couldn't. As the others have indicated they can be little b"£%^$&s!

Stanley, Falkland...
7. Re: Midges Really Bad?

Teamneptune -

I notice you say "in the Isles". Do you mean the Aran Isles, or the Island of Arran.

Different places, different countries.

Everett, WA
8. Re: Midges Really Bad?

Thanks, all, for such excellent advice. Will try to stay in the sea breeze, coated with Avon Skin So soft!! Cheers and thanks,

Teamneptune

Lamlash, United...
reviews: 36
9. Re: Midges Really Bad?

I'm Australian and they don't bite me, but my husband won't go outside in the summer ..... Maybe it's the Vegemite (vitamin B again), but I don't actually eat that much of it. I did get bit once, in the Ormadale conservatory, around my ankles. I wasn't wearing socks and my feet probably smelled a bit sweaty. You can get stuff in the chemist when you get there that is pretty effective. Scottish people also swear by Avon Skin So Soft, you smell a lot of it around here in the summer.

Lamlash, United...
reviews: 36
10. Re: Midges Really Bad?

PS : you probably won't be able to get your Vegemite on the island, Sainsbury's and Waitrose on the mainland certainly sell it. I am not sure that Marmite is an adequate substitute.