We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop On Hop Off

Which Greenock hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carignan, Québec
Hop On Hop Off

My husband & I will be on a cruise in September. We are arriving in Greenock at 07H00 am and we have to be back on the ship at 06h00 pm.

What do you recommend to enjoy the most of Glasgow? Is the Hop On Hop Off is a good idea?

Where do we take this tour? Should we get a taxi from the pier to get there?

Thank you in advance for answering all my questions.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

9 replies to this topic
Glasgow
reviews: 1
1. Re: Hop On Hop Off

It is a 15 minute walk or a short taxi ride to Greenock Central Station.

From there there are usually 3 trains an hour upto Glasgow Central Station taking 40 minutes.

Glasgow city centre is compact and walkable.The HOHO bus goes from George Sq and is certainly worthwhile.

Main shopping streets are Sauchiehall St/Buchanan St/Argyle St.

2. Re: Hop On Hop Off

The train service from greenock is very good, however, if you want to travel in style you could hire a limo or even a London style taxi, don't know if they have any in greenock but they do have them in Glasgow, you can get a taxi to pick you up from the ship and show you all around Glasgow and then take you back to the ship, he or she, they do have lady drivers, will be with you the whole time, you can do this for around £150, contact Glasgowtaxis.co.uk

Carignan, Québec
3. Re: Hop On Hop Off

Thnak you for your fast reply. Do appreciate. 2 more things: is the City Sightseeing bus tour still available on September 19th? Is that true that the City Sighteeing Bus is offering a Whisky tour? Is that worth it? Thank you.

Glasgow
reviews: 1
4. Re: Hop On Hop Off

http://www.citysightseeingglasgow.co.uk/

Seems to run until end of September.

I see there is mention of vouchers to use in a number of pubs.

Edited: 2:09 pm, August 28, 2013
Greenock, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Hop On Hop Off

Hi there Natalie. If you arrive at 7am then I am guessing you could be in Glasgow for 9am (based on how long to get off ship, and the walk to the station (taxis are at the terminal and will cost £4) so plenty of time for the HOHO bus in Glasgow. You could get a taxi to Glasgow but given the time you are arriving you might hit rush hour traffic and the cost would probably increase so the train will be perfect for you.

If you do walk to train station from pier I would suggest about 15mins, pretty much flat the whole way. For ease I always recomend going to Greenock Central.

There is a train to Gourock about 1630 getting you into Greenock at about 1715 with a short walk or taxi ride to pier so you have plenty of time.

Carignan, Québec
6. Re: Hop On Hop Off

We are trying to find a private driver and French guide so we could enoy the most of Édimbourg and maybe Glasgow. Could you please help me finding a travel agent that offers that kind of service. Thank you

Greenock, United...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Hop On Hop Off

I see this company quite frequently when I am going to work (I work close to Greenock Terminal) and they might be able to help. I cannot comment on cost or service etc

rabbies.com/tours_vacations_faqs/private_gro…

Carignan, Québec
8. Re: Hop On Hop Off

Again, thank you very much. I just send them an email. Will see if it will be possible. Otherwise, I will have a few days to prepare and make an itinerary of the most important things to see!!!

9. Re: Hop On Hop Off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, September 04, 2013

Reply to: Hop On Hop Off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted