We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Dornoch,Cruden Bay,golf ,golf and more golf

Which Nairn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 26
Royal Dornoch,Cruden Bay,golf ,golf and more golf

Planning a trip in Sept. 07,we have tee times at Royal Dornoch Friday 732 am,Cruden Bay next day at 3 pm,Really like the looks of the Boath House in Nairn also Marcliff,husband plays golf,I like the history,walking and castles.....need some opinions re lodging and things we should see in these areas.

Ellon, Aberdeenshire
reviews: 2
1. Re: Royal Dornoch,Cruden Bay,golf ,golf and more golf

Re. Cruden Bay, things to see when in the area, Slains Castle is worth a visit, right on the edge of a cliff to the north of the village, Marclifffe at Aberdeen is really nice, food and service are first class

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 70
2. Re: Royal Dornoch,Cruden Bay,golf ,golf and more golf

Hi

If you like history and are in Aberdeen it is worth having a wander around the Kings College area in Old Aberdeen. This is a convervation area of medieval buildings, and on a september day can look lovely.

The grampian tourist board has a "castle trail" - visiting them all would be a bit of an overload, but you can choose whether you fancy atmospheric ruins (Dunnottar would be my choice) or nice tower house with gardens and cafe (eg crathes).

If you like walking, then a great (but not too strenuous) walk is up the hill Benachie, just beside Inverurie, north of Aberdeen. Many locals have a great fondness for this hill, admitedly of modest height, but with great views and the ruins of a vitrefied fort on top. forestry.gov.uk/website/recreation.nsf/LUWeb… gives details of the parking and a choice of paths - it is quite popular.

Have a great trip

Inverness, United...
reviews: 16
3. Re: Royal Dornoch,Cruden Bay,golf ,golf and more golf

Hi there,

Sounds like a great trip. A few recommmendations:

Boath House; Excellent place to stay, superb food.

Marcliff; I have never stayed there but I've heard good stories.

Castles:

Cawdor Castle near Nairn, romantic castle

Brodie Castle near Forres, great art collection

Ballindaloch castle, near Aberlour, also very romantic.

Walking:

Great walks around the coast:

Nairn, Findhorn, Lossiemouth, Cullen

Woodlands:

Culbin forest, Dava way, Speyside way. Check the forestry web site http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/ourwoods.nsf/$$SearchWalk?Openform&PS=(FIELD+CountyOP+CONTAINS+Moray)&NT=&c=scotland

for more walks as there are plenty in the area.

Websites to consider:

www.forestry.gov.uk

www.visitscotland.com

www.greaterspeyside.com (I took most of the above info from this)

Hope this helps you to plan your trip. You're coming to a wonderful part of Scotland, I hope you enjoy your stay in our area.

Rene

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 61
4. Re: Royal Dornoch,Cruden Bay,golf ,golf and more golf

I may be too late to reply, however: Nairn GC on Seabank Rd is exceptional & pricey, but they have the 9 hole old course I've called the struy. I played it twice, being alone I dwaddled, hit several balls, practiced the lovely greens, very fair price. Another time I was paired with 2 local men, probably in '70s & it was worth the $150 on the regulation course. Dornoch is the same situation, only more challenging. I like Fyvie GC 9 hole & need to post review & my photos. Alness GC was fun 18 hole. Royal Bank of Scotland puts out a great, great golf guide, very detailed with info the Official Guide to Golf in S. Don't be decieved by any '9 hole' course as they can be every bit as tough as 18 hole, less crowded, fair rate. The net lists nearly all the Scotland courses.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 61
5. Re: Royal Dornoch,Cruden Bay,golf ,golf and more golf

I may be too late to reply, however: Nairn GC on Seabank Rd is exceptional & pricey, but they have the 9 hole old course I've called the struy. I played it twice, being alone I dwaddled, hit several balls, practiced the lovely greens, very fair price. Another time I was paired with 2 local men, probably in '70s & it was worth the $150 on the regulation course. Dornoch is the same situation, only more challenging. I like Fyvie GC 9 hole & need to post review & my photos. Alness GC was fun 18 hole. Royal Bank of Scotland puts out a great, great golf guide, very detailed with info the Official Guide to Golf in S. Don't be decieved by any '9 hole' course as they can be every bit as tough as 18 hole, less crowded, fair rate. The net lists nearly all the Scotland courses.

6. Re: Royal Dornoch,Cruden Bay,golf ,golf and more golf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Nairn
Recent Conversations
More Nairn Topics