We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

Gurgaon
reviews: 1
where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

Hello friends ! 2 of us are soending 3 days in Scotland later this month and are in the lookout for a decent b&b to stay in the Loch Ness / Inverness area : essentialy we are looking at a safe , affordable b&b , preferably in a scenic location , however not too far from the nightlife ( are we expecting too much ? ) :-) . We will be hiring a car so commuting should not be much of an issue . Kindly do chip in with you suggestions and recommendations . Look forward ! Cheers ....

New Delhi, India
11. Re: where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

Thanks a ton !

I think all these discussions have made us decide for one extra day in scotland ! we shall take up the stopping in St andrews for a night bit - makes logical sense ... Also as far as acco is concerned , will decide between the city based b&b options !

Need one more advise - any clues / views / opinions on a good reliable car rental agency that we can speak with to hire a car ? We are looking at a mid sized car with sat nav and maybe an a/c

Gogolfing - hi , await your inputs on St Andrews !

Cheers

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
reviews: 26
12. Re: where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

Hi all,

Woody has done a superb job in giving you lots of information and some excellent advice.

You haven't given us your dates so the Dunhill, or other events in St Andrews, might affect accommodation availability if you do decide to stay overnight there. For example the R&A Autumn meeting is from 20-24 September.

I am not sure quite what I can add to what Woody has said. If you are in St Andrews on a Sunday you would be able to walk the Old course, as it is closed to play. Anyone can simply wander across the course and walk whichever holes they wish. On other days you can walk alongside the course and watch the golf as there is a path on both sides of the course.

The British Golf Museum is opposite the 1st hole, and Woody has mentioned the Castle, Cathedral, St Rules Tower and lovely beaches. The West Sands is the same end of town as the links courses.

St Andrews is a lovely place to wander around and the best part of a day can be spent doing not very much at all.

There are lots of B&Bs in the town and I think the TA listings here are reasonably reliable for showing good ones to the top of the listings. If you stay on Murray Park you have a choice from plenty of guest houses and you will be 5 minutes walk from the Old course. St Andrews is fairly compact so most points of interest, and the town centre, are very walkable from Murray Park.

Re Inverness I don't personally know any of the guest houses you have listed but St Anns was recommended to me by someone locally as being a lovely property.

For car rental I normally suggest trying Arnold Clark. They are a local Scottish company who normally offer good value rates. They have branches at, or close to, all the main Scottish airports.

Does this help?

New Delhi, India
13. Re: where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

thanks Woody and gogolfing ! gogolfing - We are planning to be there on the 22nd sept 2010 . would it be busy at that time ? will it be possible to play a quick 9 in the morning ? ( maybe on other courses if not the old course )

also what should be our budget for a nights stay at a decent b&b here at this time of the year ?

i have found the following good - any recommendations ?

- glenderran guest house

- pinewood country home

- six murray park

i have written on request for availability vut no revert yet :-(

any idea / recommendations on anything else ?

thanks once more - you have been a great help !

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
reviews: 116
14. Re: where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

Pinewoods is not in St.Andrews, as I'm sure Gogolfing will confirm. Its outside Leuchars on the Tayport Road about 6 or 7 miles from St.Andrews. If I were you I would stay in the town after all the driving you have done and if you can get 6 Murray Park for a good price then I would go for it - its No 1 on TA so that's a good recommendation, with Glenderran not far behind - and in the same street. Its very central so ideal. Sorry to jump in on your potential reply Gogolfing!

W x

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
15. Re: where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

Hi Globeissmall,

For a short stay you really want to be in the heart of St Andrews so stick to the Murray Park guest houses, and you should be fine with either Glenderran or Six Murray Park. You will need to wait for them to give you the costs.

You will be there are the students are going back to University so it will be busy generally.

Scottish golf courses are not normally built to play a 'quick 9' - traditional links courses have an 'out and back' format which means the 9th hole is often the farthest point from the clubhouse and most 18 hole courses do not sell 9 hole tickets. There is a 9 hole course in St Andrews, the Balgove, but it's also the easiest course of the links and is really a beginners course.

New Delhi, India
16. Re: where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

Thanks ! Just wanted to check hats the cost for 9 holes and in case u also want to rent shoes and clubs what would the approx " investment " be ? Also how to u book this ? Can u do this online or can it be done on spot ?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
17. Re: where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

If you want to play one of the St Andrews Links courses, such as the Balgove, you need to get in touch with the St Andrews Links Trust. http://www.standrews.org.uk/. There is lots of information on their website about the courses, green fees, and you can book golf directly online on the site. The site also gives costs for hire clubs (£25 per round) and hire shoes (£12.50).

You can also go to one of the clubhouses on the day and see if any times are available. The Eden clubhouse is for the Balgove, Eden and Strathtyrum courses, the Links clubhouse is for the New and Jubilee courses.

New Delhi, India
18. Re: where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

Thanks a lot gogolfing ! U have been a gr8 help !

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
19. Re: where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

Hope you have a good time!

20. Re: where to stay for a night in the Loch Ness / Inverness area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 11, 2011