We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip to Lochalsh!!

Which Kyle of Lochalsh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
reviews: 7
Road Trip to Lochalsh!!

I've always wanted to see Kyle of Lochalsh everb since I saw Michael Palin's train travel show yonks ago.

My wife and I are visiting the UK this summer and I want to at least see the countryside between Inverness and Lochalsh. From reading other comments I've decided a car would be best for the trip.

We lived in England for seven years in the 70s/80s and visited since then so driving isn't that daunting to us. We never gave Scotland the attention it deserves, camping there for a horribly wet week in Aug. 79, so want to spend time there this time.

I can (sadly) go on record as apparently being the only American who doesn't have Scottish roots.

We are walkers and would like some advice on where to hike/go on the West coast. Is a visit to Skye worth the effort?

Thanks.

HaggisNScotch (yes, I like both!!)

california
reviews: 1
1. Re: Road Trip to Lochalsh!!

There is whisky in Scotland. Not Scotch.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
2. Re: Road Trip to Lochalsh!!

Just trying to manage expectations... the views around Kyle are probably worth getting there for, rather than the town itself.

Places not to miss - 7 sisters of kintail; Mam Ratagan; Glenelg; Applecross; Torridons. And yes, Skye is worth it.

uk
reviews: 7
3. Re: Road Trip to Lochalsh!!

There are some fantastic walks on the Mainland. Kyle Village is an ideal base and Kyle and the surrounding areas have much to offer.

Skye too is most certainly worth a visit and I believe there are some fantastic walks to be had on Skye.

A car would be best, although there is a good public transport service. The train trip from Inverness to Kyle is spectacular!

Have a lovely holiday!

milnathort
reviews: 1
4. Re: Road Trip to Lochalsh!!

haggisNscotch mmmm me too skye and lochalsh is well worth it everywhere you go you will find nature walks hill walks the walk up to storr is amazing the quirang is just gob smacking go man go!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Re: Road Trip to Lochalsh!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, October 25, 2009